We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions for college students in the area

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
428 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Attractions for college students in the area

21 year old daughter and roommate are looking for fun stuff to do on a short road trip from Wisconsin at the end of March-beginning of April. She has no time for research, so I thought I’d ask what is enjoyable for young people to do in and around Indianapolis. They are not big drinkers, so heavy duty bar hopping is not their scene. Not into museums either. Zoos, scenery, hiking, shopping, amusement parks are more their thing. I’ve heard about the Broad Ripple area as being trendy (I’ve done the art fair before), but really know very little about it.

Thank You!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions for college students in the area

If into hiking try Eagle Creek park on the far westside (465 and 56th Street exit). Plenty of trails and large resevoir. I think $3.00 per car for entry to park. The zoo s nice but fairly expensive in my opinion. plenty of places downtown to shop/eat. Circle Center Mall is downtown. The Indianapolis Museum of Art (38th Street) is nice. They have nice little nature trail. I think musem entrance/trail are FREE. Butler University is only a couple miles from there. It is a really nice place to wander around.

Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions for college students in the area

Broad Ripple is definitely good for an afternoon of shopping, people-watching, and going to the free Indianapolis Art Center. Also, the Monon Trail runs right through Broad Ripple. They can walk it in either direction. They should go south to 54th Street to a strip of small shops and restaurants. Check out Locally Grown Gardens, a great produce stand in an old service station. Great place for a cold drink. They also have dinners at a communal table sometimes. Also, they might be able to rent bikes in Broad Ripple, at either Rusted Moon or the Bike Line. Both are right on the Monon Trail.

Other hangouts are Mass Ave and Fountain Square, both downtown. They can rent bikes downtown at the Indy Bike Hub YMCA, which is located right on the new Indianapolis Cultural Trail, a terrific walking/bike path that winds through downtown. It's a great way to see downtown.

White River State Park is another great destination downtown. It's an urban park. Most of the major museums are there, and the zoo/botanical gardens, along with green spaces and a cool canal with pedestrian walkways on both sides. Even if they don't go inside the museums, they're cool to walk around. The Indiana State Museum, which is right on the Canal, has a bunch of sculptures integrated into the exterior, and they're fun to search for. They could bike to White River State Park from the Indy Bike Hub.

The center of downtown is fun to walk around. They should get lunch to go somewhere and sit on the steps of Monument Circle and watch the world go by. Circle Centre mall is a block away from there. They can walk from there to White River State Park, just four or five blocks away.

The Indianapolis Museum of Art is beautiful, and it has acres and acres of gardens as well as a new 100-acre sculpture park with artworks integrated into the landscape. It's remarkable.

We also have a new indoor trampoline park, SkyZone.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions for college students in the area

Here's a list of places my daughter has liked in Indy:

Indy 500 Museum (and she is not a car person) and bus ride around the track, the Western Art museum, walking up the Soldiers and Sailors monument, touring the Capitol, walking on the river walk behind the western art museum, neighborhood of Mass Ave (though I hear the record store is no longer there), looking at all the interesting buildings and monuments, eating at the Rathskeller, Shapiro's, and Maxine's Chicken and Waffle -- her top three.

4. Re: Attractions for college students in the area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:16