We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indy Race - early escape

Urbana, Illinois...
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Indy Race - early escape

at what time indy race ends ?

We are planning to drive back to bloomington, il for some party which starts at 4.00PM CST but its ok even we reach 1 hr late

What is the best place to park so that we can leave early without traffic

We are coming from Danville to Indianpolis, so which is the best place to park ..Please advice

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
366 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indy Race - early escape

If this is your first 500 then you cannot understand the enormity of this event. Think about the largest sporting event, concert, etc. that you have attended and multiply it by at least 5. With that said, if you plan to leave early you can avoid some of the traffic. Your best bet is to try to park West/Nortwest of the track, depending on how far you are willing to walk to/from the track. If you go to the IMS website you can look at a map of the facility and see whe the lots are located. If it were me I would park in one of the neighborhoods near the track and make sure I explain to the person I am leaving early so I could get out. By parking West/Northwest you will be as close to I-74 as possible. Sorry if this is vague but there are many factors that I don't have to give a specific answer.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 12:15
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
381 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indy Race - early escape

The race starts at noon local time EDT and usually lasts 3-3 1/2 hours. The only way to avoid traffic is not to go because that whole side of town is a mess from 6AM-6PM or later. Personally, I wouldn't recommend leaving early because if you recall last years race, the winner didn't take the lead til the last turn of the last lap and if you left early you'd have missed it.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indy Race - early escape

I'm confused you say your going to Bloomington????? Ind or IL. Coming from Danville IN. or IL?

1'st I wouldn't leave one of the best parties (the 500) to go out of town to another, not condeming just saying.

If going to Bloom IN park on the North east side of the track, leave to get out to 38'th st west to I 65 south. That is if they allow traffic that way out. You don't have a choice you just have to follow the cops waving you into one direction.

If going to Bloom IL 1'st poster response is best solution. I know for sure that on the west side of track they will will wave you to I 465 and you can get to 74 from there.

Heat will be terrible please stay hydrated and safe. Enjoy the race and our Hoosier Hospitality

Edited: 25 May 2012, 02:46
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,867 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indy Race - early escape

I admit at first glance I figured the question involved Bloomington INDIANA, but given the "CST" reference in the OP, I'm pretty sure it's ILLINOIS.

hlo

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
381 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indy Race - early escape

My vote is for Bloomington, Illinois to since the OP is from Schaumburg, IL.

6. Re: Indy Race - early escape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:42
Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis