We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a restaurant

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a restaurant

I'm looking for a restaurant where we can hold a memorial service for between 20-30 people on a Saturday afternoon. We'd like something convenient to Crown Hill Cemetery or the airport. Preferably someplace where we can have a private room and visit with relatives for a few hours before everybody gets a flight out. Not super expensive, but nicer than a Dennys. A former neighbor suggested we try Ricks Cafe Boatyard (which is booked for that day) or Pucks at the Art Museum. Any other suggestions?

Indy
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a restaurant

Ricks waas the first thing i thought of then read the second part of your post. pucks is prolly a good idea b/c of the proximity.

the problem for you is geography. something downtown would be easy to get to from crown hill, then easy to get to the airport from the restaurant. since its a saturday afternoon downtown will probably be slow so a better likelihood of getting a place w/ private room. there is a ruth's chris on illinios that would work nicely (private dining room), but you might have to take out a second mortgate <g>.

anything west on 38th street is probably not so nice for your guests.

another option is hollyhock hill, but that is north and east into broad ripple so it's in the opposite direction from the airport.

imo downtown is prolly your best bet. lot of restaurants to choose from ...

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a restaurant

When is your memorial service?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a restaurant

I'm guessing the service is April 29 and involves California and Conneticuit somehow. Anyway, try GRINDSTONE CHARLEY'S (5822 Crawfrodsville Road 317-481-1870) I'm pretty sure they have a private room. It's probbaly about 5 miles from Crown Hill, then another 5 to the airport. You might also try The Brickyard Crossing at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway. They have a pretty nice buffett lunch and have rooms just off the dining area (317-241-2500) explain to them what you're looking for and they will bend over backwards to help

Indy
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a restaurant

i forgot about grindstone and the brickyard. those are two very good suggestions.

i would guess grindstone would be much less expensive than brickyard, but the brickyard would be real nice and if someone has a much later flight they could either squeeze in a round of golf or visit the track museum...

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a restaurant

The Brickyard has a lunc h buffet for $8.95 For the private room call ther and ask for mary Ann. Another option there is The Flag Room. It's a little bar just off the lobby. Although they won't close it for a private function there will probably be very few people in there til at least four when the golfers wander in. They serve typical bar food/sandwiches

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a restaurant

Thanks local experts. You've been very helpful. I've called all your suggested places, and am comparing details for them. Too bad it's forecasting rain for my family's return to Indianpolis this weekend, but re-uniting with relatives from around the country will be the major focus.

Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis