We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NCAA Regional Finals 2013

Centerburg, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
NCAA Regional Finals 2013

My husband and I are going to the NCAA Regional finals in Indianapolis and are staying at the Hilton Downtown.

It's a Christmas surprise and I'd like to have everything planned out for the weekend. Any ideas for unique restaurants/bars within walking distance of the Hilton?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NCAA Regional Finals 2013

First, welcome to the TA forums!

Pretty much everything in the downtown area will be within walking distance of your hotel and, while there are plenty of (both large & small) chains, there's also a fair amount of independent restaurants/bars too. Some will be closer than others, but none too far (subject to what you consider walkable). Also, I'm 99% certain that there is a (relatively) new cab rate structure where everything in the "mile square" (bounded by North, East, South & West Streets) is a fixed fare.

It would help if you could name the sort of things you're looking for (cuisines, budget, beer/wine or cocktails, ambiance, etc.) that you'd like/are looking for; we'd like to suggest things you & your husband will specifically enjoy. Otherwise we're just naming a generic list of places. A general rule is that providing more details in your question will result in more & better responses.

That said, here's a short semi-random list of places/things to consider off the top of my head (focusing on independents and smaller chains):

1. Saint Elmo's. Won't go into much on this (plenty of discussions about it in other threads on this forum) other than to say it's an Indy institution (steakhouse); think "old school," lots of dark wood/meat & potatos, etc.

2. Fogo da Chao. Brazilian "steakhouse" (actually a chain, but there aren't very many). This is one of my new favorite downtown places, but it is expensive. *Lots* of meat and great service.

3. Slippery Noodle Inn. Another downtown institution, bar that has Blues music many nights of the week.

4. Mass Ave. This is an area of restaurants, bars & shopping on the NE of downtown (walkable). Plenty of options in a fairly compact area.

5. Fountain Square. Another up & coming area located a little bit SE of downtown (questionable re: walkability).

6. If you're looking for beer options, there's a smattering of brewpubs, Irish bars and craft beer places; too many to mention here.

Also, you should check out other threads on the forum, I know there is at least one about "iconic" Indy restaurants. Similarly, sites that are more oriented towards primarily restaurants are worth checking out. There is Urbanspoon (which I use), Yelp (which I don't but others swear by) and Chowhound to name a few. These will allow you to filter based on location, budget, cuisine, etc. Then, of course, there is the TA restaurant listings, but I don't know anyone who uses it as their "go to" restaurant resource (for multiple reasons).

That's all for now, looking forward to giving more (specific) suggestions based on additional information you might provide,

hlo

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NCAA Regional Finals 2013

When I think of one of a kind I think of St. Elmo's Steak House. Another idea is cocktails and appy's up in The Eagels Nest revoloving restaurant in Hyatt hotel.....I don't recommend the over priced dinners. Also take a walk by the Monument Circel to see the Christmas lights in all of their splendor. Maybe a horse drawn carriage ride. Or a hot Chocolate on the Circle from Chocolate Cafe.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NCAA Regional Finals 2013

Huntlawoffice is always/almost perfect on all the reviews. If you are staying at the Hilton at Market and Illinois, McCormick and Scmicks restaurant is right there. You can call rhm ahad and have your menu personalized. "Welcome to the NCAA Regional Finalsin indianapolis Mr.and Mrs So and So" Nice added touch. EXCELLANT seafood there. Hopefully the weater will be decent by March and you can stroll around the downtown area

4. Re: NCAA Regional Finals 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 09:19