We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indianapolis for a mom's getaway girls weekend

Level Contributor
5 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Indianapolis for a mom's getaway girls weekend

Some mommy friends and I are traveling to Indianapolis at the end of April for a girls getaway weekend. I'm curious to know in which area of town should we try to book a hotel...ideally a suite that sleeps 5, but we can also just do 2 rooms. Reasonably priced, but very clean & safe. Restaurants, shopping, close by. Not really into bars & such, but maybe a cool area to walk around & explore?? Any thoughts/ideas/recommendations?

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
35 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indianapolis for a mom's getaway girls weekend

Depending on what your main goal is I would suggest downtown or Keystone at the Crossing. At Keystone at the Crossing you'll have several hotel options. The Sheraton, The Marriott and a Hyatt Place. Just a little west of Keystone at the Crossing there is a Residence Inn and you may be able to get all 5 of you in one room there.

Within walking distance you'll have a lot of restaurants and "Class A" Shopping -- Nordstrom, Saks, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, etc along with a great movie theater and many other things. Across the street you'll have Kohl's. If you go a mile or so east on 86th Street you'll have the Container Store, Nordstrom Rack, more restaurants a little further on you'll find DSW and then another couple miles east you'll have Castleton Square Mall with all of the typical mall stores -- anchored by Macy's and Von Maur.

If you want to experience more of the city itself then stay downtown. You should plan to visit Mass Ave and the shops/restaurants there and you'll find a lot of shopping at Circle Center Mall. There is a lot to see and do downtown and tons of restaurants. There is also a Residence Inn Downtown or a Fairfield Inn and Suites that may accommodate you.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,801 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indianapolis for a mom's getaway girls weekend

My vote would be for downtown, with Keystone Crossing as a close second. I don't have anything against Keystone, but think the shopping and to some extent the dining in that area is less "special." What I mean by that is that you'll find more chains, etc; things that you're more likely to find elsewhere. Also, with the exception of shopping at the mall itself, I don't think it's as walkable as downtown.

Downtown you'll find plenty of shopping (including a mall for those chain stores) and lots of restaurants. It's also got museums and the zoo/White River Garden close by. If you have any interest, you might also be a be able to catch a minor league baseball game a Victory Field. There's also the Canal Walk, Cultural Trail and Mass Ave for longer walking.

I've just scratched the surface of the downtown stuff, you might scan "downtown threads" on the forum for more details/ideas.

That's my $.02,

hlo

3. Re: Indianapolis for a mom's getaway girls weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis
Recent Conversations