We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indy Airport - Meeting Arrivals Inside

L M
Indianapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Indy Airport - Meeting Arrivals Inside

Hi everyone,

I am picking up my sister at the Indianapolis airport and have never been inside as I am new to Indiana. Is there a specific place I should go to wait where arrivals walk up through? I am from NY and the airport I'm used to has a specific spot where dozens of people gather as arrivals from various flights come down in drones from elevators. What's the setup at the Indy airport like?

Thanks for any help!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indy Airport - Meeting Arrivals Inside

The Indy airport isn't that large. You've basically got two places to greet them.

The first is a single pre/post security "mall" area. It's a circular common area with some restaurants, shopping, and seating. Both terminal arrivals feed into it and its small enough it's not hard to spot people.

The second is the "standard" baggage claim (on the lower level). Again, it's a rather small area and only has two "sub-areas," one on each side of the escalators coming down from the upper level. There's much else on this level other than luggage conveyors.

I'll bet you can see it all on a map on the airport website. I'd leave a link, but I'm in my phone so it's a bit of a pain. I'll try to do so tomorrow.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indy Airport - Meeting Arrivals Inside

IND was designed post-9/11 so everything makes more sense for today's environment. As hlo says, there is a large central central mall that all gates exit to. It is so wide open that you will see your sister very easily and you will be able to wait comfortably. There are restaurants, a free standing bar, Starbucks and other kiosks there too. I can't tell you how easy everything is at IND, once you get there you will see how different it is than most if not all airports you have been in (especially in NYC, I have been).

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indy Airport - Meeting Arrivals Inside

Here's a link to a map on the airport's website:

indianapolisairport.com/files/contribute/1.7…

the circular meeting area the responses mentioned is called "Civic Plaza" and would be my place of choice to meet your sister.

Also realized I should have used "concourse" rather than "terminal" in my response. Both of the concourses (all the gates) feed arrivals into this on their way to baggage claim on the lower level.

One last option, which you might find more convenient, is to park in the "cell phone lot" and have your sister call when she arrives and/or gets her luggage. It's just a minute or two from the terminal itself and will allow you to arrive at the curb and avoid parking & associated costs, lugging baggage to the car, etc. 99% sure this is on a map on the website showing the parking/general airport area.

Hope this is clear and helps,

hlo

4. Re: Indy Airport - Meeting Arrivals Inside

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:20