We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week Long Stay

Jacksonville...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Week Long Stay

My girlfriend and I are looking at spending a week in Indy in August to hit the MotoGP race and then GenCon the next weekend. However, I've been unsuccessful in finding vacation rentals and two sets of plane tickets are cheaper than a week in a hotel.

Does anyone have any leads for long term rentals? I know we are getting a late start on two busy weekends, so vacancies might be sparse, but I figured I would check. We're willing to relocate mid-trip if needed. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Indy Hostel
Indy Hostel
179 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
944 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week Long Stay

Not sure of your exact dates but I plugged in the 8th thru 18th in to Marriott web site and the Fairfield Inn and Suites Indy Northwest popped up with a long term rate of $69 per night

Mentioned in this post
Indy Hostel
Indy Hostel
179 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Jacksonville...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Week Long Stay

Thanks. Maybe I'll have to double check my hotel search.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week Long Stay

Are you sure you don't want to add Memorial Day & catch the 500 too? ;-)

Yes, you've picked some busy times for Indy (happened to read recently that Gen Con will have ~40,000 people). I can't speak too much about the vacation rental market in Indy, but presume you've check AirBnB and VRBO. About the only other web resource I can think of off the top of my head is Craig's List and not sure I'd recommend that (if you do try it, be *very* careful).

You haven't indicated your preferred location (if any), but I think downtown will be problematic (certainly during Gen Con & presumably MotoGP too); so, since you're watching your budget I think it's probably out of the mix. Also, you might give some kind of budget figure of what you're willing/would like to spend as that way we can focus suggestions on the proper market segment.

There are a smattering of residence/suite type hotels around the city. I know there is at least one up around Keystone Crossing and I believe a couple in College Park (near the Pyramids); pretty certain Carmel has a few too and I'm sure there are others.

In terms of reasonable (non-downtown) locations, you might want to check out the airport hotels. All of them (particularly the one's near the old terminal/east of I-465) will have pretty good downtown access via either I-70 and/or the old airport expressway. Also, going all way out to the Plainfield cluster (1 exit west of the airport) might be far enough to have avoided some of the demand spike.

Normally I might suggest Hotwire and/or Priceline to try to find a bargain, but question whether you'll be able to snag any deals since demand will be up for both weekends you're looking at. If you are able to snag a deal I feel pretty certain it will be in a less desirable area (I mean from a proximity/access aspect, not that the neighborhood will be bad). If you do decide to go this route, there are the usual issues associated with blind booking and I suggest you check out biddingfortravel.com and/or betterbidding(.com?) for tips, hints & likely hotel identifications.

Beyond that you might want to look at some of the nearby towns. If you're willing to have an hour drive or so, you should be able to find something cheaper; unlike the 500 I don't think the demand will be so high that even these towns will get slammed.

On this topic a last comment, will you have a car? Obviously will have an impact on being able to get around and want to make sure you're considering that cost in your calculations.

Sorry I couldn't give any specific advice, but hope this helps,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Indy Hostel
Indy Hostel
179 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Carmel
Carmel
Hamilton County, IN
Level Contributor
547 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week Long Stay

Paul, have you tried Air BNB? My friend's downtown condo is listed there. It's on Mass Ave, probably the 400 block. Great rates, perfect location, super host.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week Long Stay

I second the VRBO suggestion. My family has used that site for years and has always found good properties. I'm not sure what you're looking for, where, or how much, but just a quick search returned 27 properties; some in the $750/week range.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Week Long Stay

Yeah..if you throw some locations out at us we can tell you if you have a good option or not :)

And yeah...you will need a car (or a motorcycle! :) ) if you're staying for a week, or things can get a little boring. Or at least rent a car for a few days out of your trip! (Lots of activities take place downtown during MOtoGP)

7. Re: Week Long Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 07:16