We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on getting a taxi to walmart...

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on getting a taxi to walmart...

Hi,

In August I will be going to Indianapolis and staying at the Staybridge suites in Carmel. Because the hotel is situated in the business district there are no shops in walking distance but the hotel includes a kitchen in the room so I have decided to land at Indianapolis Airport and on the way to Carmel stop at Walmart probably the one in W 86th st because its on route to the hotel.

But is it the best way, to make the taxi driver wait? Because our luggage will be packed in the car is there a risk of the cab driver driving off? I also have never been to a walmart before so have no idea if its easy to shop and be out within the hour as I heard the lines at the checkout are long.

I welcome any advice

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on getting a taxi to walmart...

I do not recommend using a taxi. I work at a hotel about 1 mile east of there and guests have told me that the cab ride from the airport is already around $60 one way without a tip. If you were to make a cab wait for you while you shop they will charge appx. $0.40 a minute. For walmart it really depends on what time of day you are going, during moderately busy hours I usually wait in line for at least 5-10 minutes after I've gathered all my stuff. There is a Kroger on 86th that would have all the food you would need and one of their company goals is to not make you wait in line. How long will you be in the area? Are you traveling by yourself? You also may want to ask your hotel if they offer any type of shuttle service to the nearby area for groceries. Depending how long you are there it may be worth your while to rent a car instead.

London, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on getting a taxi to walmart...

Hi thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the hotel does not run a shuttle service but I agree would be so much easier if they did. I'm travelling with my boyfriend and I'm there for 7 days perhaps hiring a car would be better. I just feel uncomfortable with the idea of the cab driver waiting with my luggage in the car.

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing I'm sure its totally safe if thery are legit cab drivers.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
907 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on getting a taxi to walmart...

The closest options for food are the Meijer at Carmel Drive and Pennsylvania (about two miles straight north of your hotel), a Marsh Supermarket at 116th and Keystone (about two miles East) and a Kroger at Rangeline and Carmel Drive (about 2.5 miles East and North).

Assuming you cannot get transportation from whomever you are coming to visit, renting a car would be your best option.

Enterprise Rental Car advertises that they will come to pick you up. They have a location at Rangeline Rd - about 3-4 miles from the hotel.

www.enterprise.com/car_rental/wls.do…

I plugged in a random date in August and rates as low as $34 a day (all fees) came back. Enterprise should come to the hotel and pick you up, then drive you back to the hotel when you are finished with the car. You may need to wait until they can come get you or take you back. This rate has no insurance coverage in it. If your personal car insurance covers rentals in the US, you could decline the coverages.

The closest car rental to the hotel is National at E 116th and Rangeline. I don't know what transport they offer.

As for the grocery stores;

Meijer is a superstore - more than just groceries. In my opinion, they have the best produce. The Hampton Inn located up the road from your hotel is within walking distance, most of it through a parking lot.

Kroger - I have not been in this Kroger. I typically do most of my shopping at Kroger. I feel they generally have the best combination of price and quality.

Marsh - this is a beautiful Marsh store. Lots of options. Marsh also seems to have the highest prices around.

Both Kroger and Marsh use a frequent shopper card to get their best deals. You should be able to go to the service desk upon entering to get one at no cost.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
168 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on getting a taxi to walmart...

Assuming you are talking about the Staybridge Suites on Pennsylvania Street, it will cost you about $60 one way from the airport to Staybridge suites. However, once there, you have many, many food and shopping options very close. No need to stop at a 'walmart' on the way AT ALL! Would not advise that with a cab driver and your luggage.

Your destination is going to be in one of the safest areas in Indianapolis. Also, you will literally be just 2.5 miles (5 minutes) from two large grocery stores (Kroger's & Marsh), as well as 2 miles from a 'wal-mart like' store called Meier, that has everything Walmart has. The lines are only 'long' at peak times of the days, or holiday seasons. In general, no waiting.

If you google the area you will find many shopping and food options, including restaurants, all around your area.

Hope that helps.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
33 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on getting a taxi to walmart...

If you're staying in Indianapolis for a week, you may want a car. If you decide against I car, I would suggest signing up for Uber (no I'm not an employee or paid spokesperson!) If you're not familiar with Uber -- look online. Its an app you use with your phone to request car service and, frankly, I've found it to be much easier/more reliable than cabs in Indy. With the location you're staying at, the earlier idea about Meier is a good one and also suggest that you skip the Walmart on West 86th....it is on your way but in a very "round about way". In addition to Meier -- which is farther north of the hotel -- there are groceries/supplies in an area commonly referred to as "Nora" that is near 86th & College -- Target, Whole Foods, Kroger and Marsh. From your hotel I would guess it's less than 10 mins south. These are very close to your hotel and even if you choose a taxi from the airport to the hotel (which is probably your easiest bet without a car), you could easily go to these stores later using Uber or another cab.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 23:59
Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on getting a taxi to walmart...

First of all I would not recommend a taxi from the airport. Contact the hotel directly as they have a "preferred" company/person who works directly with them and their guests (I know this first hand however I cannot post their information on here). I guarantee you it is much cheaper than a taxi.

Also I would avoid Wal-Mart at all costs, especially the location on west 86th St. There is a Meijer Supercenter (groceries, electronics, clothes, etc.) about 1.5 miles north of your hotel. It is MUCH nicer, less busy, and price competitive.

7. Re: Advice on getting a taxi to walmart...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:15