We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick location question

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Quick location question

Coming in town next week for a few days to see the sites. 2 adults, 2 teens. For hotel location - White River SP area or downtown? We plan on roaming around all the nearby sites.

thanks

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick location question

Also, if near the state park, are there any restaurants out there?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,867 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick location question

Real quick (on my phone, probably more tomorrow ), White River Park is basically downtown; it's walkable from any downtown hotel (obviously some more than others).

Is there a hotel that you think is near the park that isn't downtown? (Answering my own question I'll bet it's the "near downtown" to the west of IUPUI.)

More to follow tomorrow,

hlo

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick location question

Thank you, there seems to be a cluster of hotels out to the West of downtown, on the edge of the park. I know it's not too far, just didn't seem like a "walkable" area? maybe just my impression from streetview. Any food out that way, or would we walk into the city?

Edited: 05 June 2014, 13:12
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,867 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick location question

Okay my guess was wrong about the hotel. As pointed out, my "confusion" was based on the fact that I think pretty much everyone considers White River Park to be "downtown" and I've never heard anyone talk in terms of downtown & White River Park being two distinct/separate areas (you might refer to them differently to distinguish them or something specific, but I don't think many would in general).

In my opinion downtown Indy (including the areas you're talking about) is *very* walkable. You'll find hundreds of restaurants, shopping, nightlife and parks all within about a fairly short walk (say a mile or so). There's also the Cultural Trail running through downtown and the Canal Walk on the north side of the museums. There are a few hotels/clusters that are less walkable than most of the others, but we're talking degrees here and even a 5-10 minute walk from these will get you into the main (more active) areas of downtown (these are near Lucas Oil Stadium, north of the Statehouse and the La Quinta which is kind of by itself on the east side of downtown).

Personally, I think the impression you got from streetview isn't accurate (which can happen depending on when the "snapshot" you're seeing was taken). I also suppose with the government offices to the north & the convention center to the south the few blocks where these hotels are located might seem a little sparse in terms of "storefronts," but a few blocks to the east (starting ~Illinois or Capital) you start getting a good number of restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. Off the top of my head I'd say there there's about 15-20 hotels in downtown Indy, I've stayed at close to half of them over the years and have always just walked to everything even late at night.

The cluster of hotels you're talking about (nearest White River Park & just south of "museum row") is on the western side of the downtown area, but the the much (most?) of the stuff you're likely to do downtown tends to be west & south of the Circle, so that's not a really a downside. They're also just north of Victory Field a very nice minor league ballpark.

The park, museums, zoo, etc will be just a short walk from this cluster and you'll just be a few blocks from the Circle Center Mall. A little further away (NE of the Circle) is another area called Mass Ave that you might want to check out. It's a mile or two of an interesting mix of (mostly independent) shops, restaurants, etc. Don't have the time to provide a link right here, but if you search the forum you'll find posting that link to a website that has a map, list of businesses, etc.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick location question

Very good info! Thanks.

Sounds like we're looking in the right area, we plan on the museums, a ballgame, etc. And would like to walk downtown for dinner, etc. I assume all these are relatively safe after dark, from dinner, from the ballpark, up North a little to the canal?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,867 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick location question

(Insert standard "keep your big city wits about you" disclaimer here.)

Downtown Indy is safe to walk pretty much 24/7. Now, I wouldn't recommend a solo female unfamiliar with the area stagger around in the early morning flashing large wads of cash after hitting the bars all night, but other than that . . . .

I literally can't think of an area you'd want to walk to (or likely to wander to) that I wouldn't consider safe. There will generally be a fair number of people on the street even into the late night. There are a few areas (mainly to the east of downtown where there are some vacant lots, north of the Statehouse where there are some large parking lots and the "tunnels" under the RR tracks running along the south of downtown) where pedestrians can get a little thin, but other than these I think you'll see a fair number of people in the street at most hours (safety in numbers and all that).

Unless you're talking about being out into the really late night/early morning, I wouldn't give walking anywhere a second thought (in terms of safety); plus at this time of the year it stays light *really* late ("thanks" to Indiana being on Eastern Time when it's really closer to Central Time geographically).

hlo

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick location question

one more quick question, unrelated. The Lucas Oil Stadium tours aren't available while we're there. Is it possible to walk down to the stadium and at least look inside? Is there a sports shop on property? We're disappointed those two days are out, but we'd like to see it.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,867 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick location question

Can't help you with much info about the Stadium, all I've ever done is look at it when driving by. (As an aside, I will be staying near it for the first time next week, but that won't help you.)

It does appear that there is at least a Colts Store you can probably visit at the stadium. It's also worth nothing there is one in the Circle Center Mall. Here's a link with information:

coltsproshoponline.com/colts-store-locations/

hlo

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
930 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick location question

I will second what HLO mentions about the areas being safe (with the standard disclaimer).

I work near the statehouse and am often here late - never feel threatened. After a ball game there will likely be a lot of foot traffic.

I presume you are mostly looking at hotels in the Marriott complex near Victory Field or close by. I'm not sure there are any locals that don't consider that part of downtown.

There won't be much of a view from outside Lucas Oil Stadium in to the stadium. I do think you can get somewhat of a look from the back of the Colts Gift Shop. You can also get a view through the large window on the north side of the Stadium if your hotel is up high enough. Lucas Oil is on the "other side" of the railroad tracks that hlo mentions.

Mass Ave would be a fun place to go visit as well. As noted, a lot more local establishments up that way. Its walkable from the area you are talking about, but I would be more inclined to walk it during the day. If you head over that way in the evening, I would drive your car or get a cab. The walk back could go through some deserted areas late in the evening/night. Not sure its unsafe, but I would probably be unnerved.

Enjoy your visit.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,867 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick location question

Got a few minutes, here's a link to the website for Mass Ave:

www.discovermassave.com/

I agree that the walk back late at night would likely be "sparse," I too don't think it would be unsafe per se, but agree that between the SW corner of Mass Ave until you to go the about the Circle you're not likely to see too many people. I don't don't know that I'd drive and have to hassle with parking (the walk up there will be just fine), but I might take a cab back.

I believe there is still a flat rate taxi fare as long as you stay within the "Downtown Mile" (bounded by North, South, East & West Streets). The Marriott complex is *just* to the west of West Street and East Street is at about the mid-point of Mass Ave; so, if you want to take advantage of this, you need to "plan" just a little bit.

Can anyone confirm the flat downtown fare still exists and/or know what it is?

hlo

Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis