We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Indy early January - need advice, please

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee
3 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Indy early January - need advice, please

Hello!

I am moving VERY soon to Indy from Milwaukee for a new job. I have tons of questions (I'll have to ask them later when I'm there) but the one i have now is this:

I will be renting for a year - looking for any recomendations on a safe and quiet neighborhood that also has some fun stuff around. I am way out of college, but I'm not old. I'm single. I will be working downtown. Flexible on rent, looking for a house or apartment.

Is Broad Ripple all college students? (No offence, just like a quiet life) I heard it's cool?

What about downtown or nearby?

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate any info as I have to move in a few weeks, and I know virtually nothing about the different neighborhoods.

Thanks in advance.

JM

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Indy early January - need advice, please

Well, welcome to Indy first of all ...

There are a number of areas that you might like to investigate. There are plenty of apartments (and young professionals) in the downtown area - the Mass Avenue area (has the benefit of a very nice grocery store and excellent restaurants nearby) and the Canal areas are particularly desirable. Both would meet your quiet but close to fun stuff. The downtown location keeps you within walking distance of every professional sporting event, city festival, and many of the concerts that happen in Indy.

The Broad Ripple area is much more than college students. They tend to visit on Thurs., Fri, and Saturday nights. Most of the residents are post-college folks, ranging from young professionals to middle age parents with families to retired couples. Broad Ripple is mostly a bar, night club, and restaurant area, and is very interesting because of that. It is about 20 minutes from the downtown area and about 15 minutes from the suburban north side.

The other area that I'd recommend you check out is the suburban north side. In an area between I-69 and Michigan Road (about a 15 mile width) and from about 79th St. to 131st St. is a very desirable residential area chocked full of shopping, bars, movie theaters, restaurants, fitness clubs, golf courses, etc. And all is exceptionally accessible due to the interstates and state roads lacing the area.

Of course, there are PLENTY of other areas to consider - and you may well be happy there as well. But I'd recommend that you check these places our for sure.

Dave

2. Re: Moving to Indy early January - need advice, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2006, 01:43