We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Lafayette

Lake Stevens...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Things to do in Lafayette

Hello! My cousin is moving to Lafayette to attend Purdue. Is there anything to do in the area, like great must-see places or anything? How far away is the closest airport?

2 replies to this topic
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Lafayette

Don't have time to hit all your questions, but do have some airport information off the top of my head.

The nearest (major) airport is Indianapolis. It's right at about an hour away and there are shuttle service(s). The Chicago area airports are another option, it's roughly 2 hours to Chicago from Lafayette, but that will vary slightly depending on whether you're talking O'Hare or Midway.

Of these options I'd probably go with Indy most of the time. This is for handful of reasons:

1. Only rarely will traffic be an issue. While Indy does have a rush hour, it's not like Chicago and you can skirt most of Indy on the way to the airport.

2. Fares, while I wouldn't say it will always be the case, you may find cheaper fares into/out of Indy. This is because it isn't a hub for any carrier and no one airline has an overwhelming number of gates. Thus, there is competition as there are "plenty of games in town" rather than having most of the flight controlled by a single airline (boy, can I tell stories about this aspect). Now that said, there are certainly fairly frequent sales regarding O'Hare (and Southwest has lots of flights to Midway) so I would automatically discount checking the Chicago fares (pun intended), but I would think that day-in/day-out, you'll see reasonable fares into/out of Indy.

3. It's newer & nice airport. It's the first airport designed & built post-9/11. Thus, it has the extra space for security, etc and other "state of the art" airport features. (And, as an aside, has some good food options that don't rip travelers off.)

4. It's a mid-size airport so there are fewer hassles getting in/out of it and around it once you're inside (compared to a mega airport like O'Hare).

That's all for now,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Lafayette

Oops, my last response (#2 re: fares) should read, ". . . so I WOULDN'T automatically discount checking the Chicago fares (pun intended) . . . ." Hope it may sense in context.

hlo

Reply to: Things to do in Lafayette
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lafayette