We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 5/23-5/24

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
749 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 5/23-5/24

My husband and I traveled to Nashville, IN to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary and we are so glad we did! This is a beautiful and welcoming little town. We stayed the night at the Artist's Colony Inn in room 301. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. The room was decorated in period 19th century - had it not been for the t.v. and coffee maker, we would have truly felt we stepped back in time. While the room was a bit on the small side, it was extremely clean and comfortable. We would definitely recommend staying here. We arrived around lunchtime and we ate lunch at the Nashville General Store Restaurant. The food was ok, but very over priced. My husband had a chopped steak burger and I had a hot ham and cheese. Both sandwiches were served with fried biscuits, apple butter, coleslaw and chips. The food was filling, but not anything very special. However, we felt that $36 total was a bit too much. After lunch we did a bit of shopping. We went in so many stores, I cannot really name them all. However, we were warmly greeted into every store and treated with kindness whether we purchased anything or not - with the exception of one. We went into Jack & Jill's Nut Shop for a mid-afternoon snack. We both chose a small package of snack nuts and tried to pay with a debit card, whereas the shopkeeper very loudly and rudely informed us that they did not accept cards for any purchase under $6. We sort of sheepishly told me we were not carrying any cash. At that point he snatched the packages off the counter, slammed them back onto the display and pretty much dismissed us from the store. As there were other customers in there, we were very embarrassed. It was not the policy that bothered us, but rather the way he treated us. We would have gladly went down to the ATM and returned had he given us the opportunity to tell him so. I completely understand having this policy with credit card processing fees being what they are, but I really think he should post a sign stating the policy where customers could see it.

We spent the rest of the afternoon shopping. Our purchases includes a tee shirt for our daughter from the Nashville T-Shirt Shop, some peanut butter fudge, a bucket of gourmet dog treats from Bone Appetit, a toy for our daughter from the Toy Chest and some other odds and ends from various stores. For dinner, we ate at the Artists Colony Inn Restaurant where we both had the catfish dinner. It was very good and reasonably priced. After dinner we walked around town some more (unfortunately, most stores closed around 6Pm)and took a carriage ride. The next morning we took advantage of our free breakfast buffet coupons at the Artists Colony Inn Restaurant - it was a standard breakfast buffet, but still very good.

All in all, we very much enjoyed our short getaway and would recommend others to visit this quaint, peaceful little town - just stay away from Jack & Jill's nut shop unless you have cash in hand!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
320 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 5/23-5/24

Slahta: Thanks for this trip report. Nashville is a fantastic little town (except on those days when it is so jam packed you can hardly move!) and of course the surrounding Brown County area is beautiful. I started going to Nashville as a kid with my parents in the early 70s to hunt morel mushrooms up in the hills of Yellowood Forest. Back then, Nashville really WAS an artists colony and very Bohemian, not very much like what you see today.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience at the nut shop.

I would recommend, if you haven't done it already, to copy the text from your post about the Artists Colony Inn and paste into a review article here on TA. It's good information, and this will make your feedback easy to find and helpful for people who are considering staying there. (I agree that food prices there are absurd.)

Thanks again for taking the time to write your detailed and helpful report.

Mentioned in this post
Artists Colony Inn
Artists Colony Inn
143 Reviews
Nashville, IN
2. Re: Trip Report 5/23-5/24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2009, 06:47
Get answers to your questions about Nashville
Recent Conversations