We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

Hello!

I believe I will be booking our yearly Girls' Trip for Brown County (Nashville) this year. My husband and I visited yesterday and the shops and accommodations seem perfect.

I have two concerns that I am hoping a local or frequent traveler to the area can answer for me.

1. On Friday and Saturday night during the trip we usually all go to dinner (there are 10 of us). We don't get out of control but the ladies like to have a couple of drinks with their meals (wine, mixed, beer). Do the restaurants that are large enough to accommodate our group have full bars? The restaurants I saw that were in walking distance were Holy Cow, Nashville House, and Artist Colony. If there are others or if these fit the bill, please let me know.

2. I wouldn't mind going out of walking distance of the village but since the ladies will drink, I don't feel comfortable (especially since we are all from out of town) with any of them driving. It seems there are wineries and other places we can go but we would need transportation to and from those locations. Is there a local taxi or van service we could hire? This might also solve one or our dining issues.

Sorry about the lengthy post. Thank you! And please note, when I say "Girls" I mean women from the ages of 35 through 65. We aren't a wild bunch out to get smashed. I just want everyone to be safe. This is the one time a year they get to see each other, relax, and have fun. I try to be as accommodating as possible!

Thanks again!

Edited: 11 December 2011, 14:06
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

Here's a few quick responses, will try to do some more checking and flesh out my response:

1) 10 may put a "strain" on some of the smaller places, might have a wait, etc. but I think you can be accommodated. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure of exactly which restaurants have a 3-way (beer, wine & liquor) permit in Nashville. There will be more that just have a 2 way (beer, wine). I am 99% certain that both of the larger hotels (Seasons & Brown County Inn) have 3 way permits (i.e. both a restaurant and bar serving liquor). Cant speak to the quality of the food, etc off the top of my head, but if nothing else these should be able to provide everyone's choice in libations.

Not sure exactly where you're staying, but I'm pretty sure there will be more eating options within a short walk; Nashville is just so small and there are certainly additional restaurants within a few blocks of the ones you've mentioned. (Just pointing this out.)

2) Not sure about a local taxi service, can remember ever seeing one. In terms of your walking to/returning from dinner, I don't think this would be an issue. As pointed out Nashville just isn't that big. On the other hand, you know you're walking ability better than I do. It pretty difficult to have anywhere in Nashville be more ~1 mile walk and if you're centrally located probably more like 1/2 - 1/4 mile. I'd think 20 minutes walking is about the maximum you'd have to do and 5 or 10 would be more the norm.

In terms of you winery trip transportation, you might want to consider a limo. I know Bloomington has a limo company (or two) and Columbus might have one too. Both of these are <1/2 hour from Nashville, so you'd "lose" about an hour of your limo time for them to get to Nashville & back, but if you figure a 4 hour minimum (which I believe is standard for many limo services), you'd still have ~3 hours of actual time in the limo. Not sure if you can find one that will seat 10, might end up needing 2 of them.

Don't apologize for the "lengthy" post. Believe me we appreciate the details. All to often posters just way, "what should we do" with any additional information about things they like, dislike, etc. Then when suggestions are made you discover some of them aren't possibilities because they have left out critical information.

For future reference it might help to have: a) where you'll be staying, and b) what you consider reasonable walking distances given everyone's abilities.

Anyway, hope this helps and I'll try to check out a few additional ideas and look forward to helping you plan your stay,

hlo

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

Thank you so much for your reply, Huntlawoffice!

We are currently booked at the Allison House Inn for next September.

I am certain our group can easily walk anywhere in town (1 - 2 miles).

I think I'm more concerned about if we go out of town that would require a long walk (5 -10 miles) or would require a walk along a busy road...essentially situations where most people would be more comfortable driving.

I never considered a limo! How fun that would be for the ladies! I will look into that. They'd feel so spoiled!

Actually, wine and beer would be enough. I just know they like to have a couple of drinks with dinner and we didn't have a chance to try out any other eatery besides Big Woods while we were in town this weekend. It appears as if "The Ordinary" may also be a place to look into.

Again, thank you for your response and if I can provide any other information to help with responses, please feel free to ask.

I'm new to this location and the more the "regulars" can tell me, the better I can plan for our trip!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

Okay - now we're talking.

You're pretty much right smack in the center of "downtown" Nashville. I'm guessing that there isn't anywhere in Nashville proper that is more than 1/2 mile (maybe 3/4 mile) from your hotel. So in terms of your dining choices I'd say anything in Nashville proper should be on the table.

While TA is pushing it's restaurant stuff, I don't know anyone who uses it as their primary restaurant resource, including me. (For lots of reasons, not the least is that I want restaurant information reviews, etc. from *locals* not visitors. I want to know the best <insert cuisine here> restaurant in town based on those who have eaten at more than one, not based on someone who has eaten at just one of them.)

You might check out Urbanspoon (my go to site), Yelp, Chowhound and/or other restaurants sites to see more about your dining (& drinking) options. Pretty sure one of the "features" Urbanspoon has is beer/wine, so you can restrict your viewing to those that will include these (but be aware, like TA, US is a user generated content site, so it may not be 100% accurate).

Also, remember that given Nashville's size, your options are going to be somewhat limited. Urbanspoon lists 38 Nashville restaurants and I'm certain some of them are outside of town. Here's a link to the Urbanspoon Nashville page:

urbanspoon.com/n/…Nashville-restaurants

and if you're looking for something really nice or special you might need to look to Bloomington or Columbus.

Glad to hear the limo idea may have gotten some traction. Now that I think about it seems like there are some airport shuttle services (in Bloomington) that also charter stuff and you might be able to a a van(s) for an afternoon/day (but of course that won't have the cachet of a limo).

Anyway, glad to help,

hlo

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

Excellent! I will definitely start checking out the UrbanSpoon.com.

Also, I came across a pamphlet that mentions the "Nashville Express". It appears to be a small locomotive-type train that does a continuous loop around the area. It is a tourist thing but this might be a fun option as well...even if we have to take a narrated tour!

Again, thanks for you responses!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) the "express" you've heard about at least originated as a parking shuttle to handle the peak tourist season when it is (basically) impossible to park in Nashville proper (at least on the street).

At these times there is heavy use of some (relatively) large outlying parking lots, nearby fields, etc. for tourists to park. The shuttle makes a loop covering these and taking people from the lots into town (and vice versa). While I believe it is indeed "made-up" as a locomotive, it is essentially a tractor that pulls a large trailer with bench seats.

I am not aware of any actual train (with tracks etc) in Nashville/Brown County and I'm pretty sure that if there was one I would know about it.

hlo

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
29 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

I regularly attend a women's retreat in the Nashville area. We usually have a Saturday night outing to the Artist's Colony, which is right downtown. It has been very accommodating to our group, which usually numbers in the 15 to 20 range. I can't recall the alcohol availability. The Red Hat Society was there when my husband and I did an anniversary lunch at the restaurant several years ago if that suggests anything. The menu has some Indiana specialties. The prices are moderate with good variety. The food is good though not extraordinary.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

Thank you, 14crystallynn! I don't know why I never received a notification that you had replied to this post! I greatly appreciate the recommendation. Since we will be having our own "cocktail hour" at the bed and breakfast, having a bar in the restaurant may not be as important as having a nice place to eat that will accommodate all of us.

I have to continually remind myself that this is a new location for our group and the experiences will be new as well. It is more important to embrace and work with the offerings of our new town then try to "bend" the experience to be the same as other locations.

Thanks again for all of the input. Only a month and half to go!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
29 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

Our group was in Nashvile again in May. We had a good dinner on Friday night at the Hob Knob, which is right downtown on the west side of St. Rd. 135. All the entres looked tasty. We were again at the Artist's Colony on Saturday night. The ambiance is nicer at the Artist's Colony, but I think the food was better at the Hob Knob. Our group was seated promptly at both places, but had about 6 on Friday night and 12 or so on Saturday night.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

Excellent! Thank you, 14crystallynn.

10. Re: Girls' Trip - Question About Restaurants and Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Nashville