We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How good is Holiday World?

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
How good is Holiday World?

Our family is considering a trip to Holiday World this year. We are in the Nashville, TN area and had never heard of HW until the last few years when they started advertising in our area. I have seen HW compared to our, now closed, Opryland. I would appreciate any guidance on how these two may compare. We have been dissappointed with Dollywood in Pigeon Forge and don't want to travel the distance to HW if it is that caliber. Also, how many days would you recommend for HW and Splashin' Safari for a family of 3 boys ages 9,12,&17? Thanks in advance.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
320 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How good is Holiday World?

Pumpman: Unfortunately, I can't help you with comparisons to the parks you mentioned, but will say that I am a big fan of Holiday World. It probably depends on your expectations. I think it's pretty great, but that's just me.

Holiday World is a good value; family owned and run pretty tight in my opinion. Food prices are reasonable (and they have free all-you-can drink Pepsi products). The water park is great and there are three roller coasters. The place has been around forever and they constantly are adding to and upgrading. I would certainly recommend it. It's about a 3 hour drive for us and definitely worth it.

As far as time in the park, we never spend more than a day in the park, but I have two younger kids and they can't/won't do everything. We camp at Lake Rudolph for a couple of days, which is a terrific campground next door to the park that runs shuttles to the park. We always pitch a tent, but you can rent either cabins or a trailer. They appear to be pretty nice and I have been told they are reasonable cost. There's also plenty of RV spots.

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How good is Holiday World?

Honk,

Thanks for the info. Everything I have read has been so positive that I was afraid they were hyping themselves. Great to hear good news from a TripAdvisor Expert. Looks like we may be heading your direction. Thanks again.

Indianapolis
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How good is Holiday World?

It's so good it will spoil you.

I notice how dirty and expensive other parks are now after visiting Holiday World. The lines will be long only if you visit in July. Late May and early June is the best time for small crowds. I adore this park! They actually treat you like a guest. Food is reasonably priced and, as mentioned, drinks are free. The water park is beyond belief. The wooden coasters are worth the trip alone. It's not a small park with small rides. It's a clean, friendly, first class, amusement park for everyone (not just kids). Teens and adults will enjoy it as much or more than the kids.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How good is Holiday World?

I have never been to Opryland, but my wife has and she thinks that they might be somewhat comparable. I do think that Holiday World is one of the more family friendly theme parks around. It's on the small side with a few really world class rides and they actually like it that way.

It isn't Disney World. It isn't even Six Flags. But it is a great place for a day, maybe two. I can't imagine you would want to plan for longer.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How good is Holiday World?

My husband and I have been going to HW with our 4 grandsons (and their parents) for the last 4 years. The boys are 8 (twins), 10, and 12. We've all been to Disney World together and loved it but we also love HW. It's unbelieveably clean, the food is good and reasonably priced, the rides are awesome, and the waterpark is unreal. Depending on how much time you have you could do it all in one day but it would be an exhausting day. A better bet would be to spend two days there. We always camp at HW or at a nearby state park called Lincoln's Boyhood Home State Park. The campground (Lake Rudolph) has a nice pool but it is extremely noisy with lots of golf carts running around (driven by underage children a lot of the time). The state park has a lake to swim in but is very pretty and quiet and is about 10 minutes from HW. My husband and I visited Opry Land in the old days and HW compares more than favorably. There aren't nice shows like there were at Opry Land but the rides and waterpark make up for it. I think your boys will love it - our entire family does. Have fun!

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How good is Holiday World?

Thanks KyBette,

We have been to Disney many times and I don't expect HW to necessary compare to WDW, but knew it would take a fairly nice park for us to find it entertaining. It's great to know you find HW somewhat in the same class as WDW. We really miss the old Opryland days. Park was only 30 min. from us, and the young entertainers on the stage shows were so refreshing to watch and the rides were pretty good too. Sadly, it fell into a mediocre state of repair and lost alot of it's shine before bowing out to DollyWood. (Personally, DollyWood is just the pits to me!)

Tell City, IN
Level Contributor
60 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How good is Holiday World?

HW is very comparable to Opryland. Your older kids may not be as impressed with the rides but will like the water park. I live less than 30 minutes from HW and we hardly ever go..probably because it is hyped up so much. I have a 9 y/o boy as well and he really enjoys Kings Island (near Cincy) but when we can't go there HW will do. If you go I would say one day is enough. Given the long hours of operation. If overnight accomodations are in your plans stay away from Stones Motel in Dale, IN. Look near the Interstate for a hotel/motel or make the drive to either Jasper, IN or Tell City, IN for an overnight stay.

8. Re: How good is Holiday World?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 07:18