We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?

We will be visiting in July and are trying to figure out how many days to spend at the park. We'll be meeting friends there and would also like to visit Lincoln's Boyhood Home, Santa Claus Village & Museum and anything else right around the area that is of interest. We will be arriving on a Thurs. night and leaving on Sunday early afternoon so that gives us 2.5 days to see everything. Our kids are 8-13 age range. Any insight would be appreciated.

9 replies to this topic
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?

I probably say play it by ear or at least delay the decision. Here's a few reasons/observations:

1. You can't know what the weather will be like this far in advance. When you start getting closer (say a week or so), I think you'l start having a better idea of what things will be like. This early, I'd probably leave two days to spend in the park until I was more certain that at least one of them will have good weather. This would mainly apply to the water park side, but also the the Holiday World side re: a rain-out.

2. I'm pretty sure you can "add on" an additional day (at a discounted price) as you exit the park and think the total cost is the same as purchasing the two-day ticket up front. (But, this is based on a memory from ~10 years ago.) The idea being that after spending day one there if you think a second day would be fun, then purchase another day then.

3. Are you much of a "roller coaster family?" These are the highlights of Holiday World and if coasters bore you (or are even something you avoid), then you might want to just plan on a single day.

Be happy to suggest other things in the area, but would like to know about things your family likes/dislikes before doing so. On a general note, you might want to look at the Bloomington forum as there are some threads there that talk about south/central Indiana things to do (albeit generally north of Santa Claus).

Hope this helps,

hlo

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?

My wife and I always plan for two days at Holiday World. We usually do the water park one day, and the other day we do the roller coasters, shows, and other dry rides.

Last year we were worried about weather and I asked on this forum about alternate options in case of rain. Luckily, we had good weather, but HLO listed several awesome options.

I also believe you may purchase 2nd day tickets at the end of the day for a lesser rate, but check to make sure they are doing it this year.

Have an awesome trip!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?

Here's a link to the thread Mike talked about:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g37506-i3600-k6577…

Not sure it's the most "all inclusive" thread on options in the area, but it does hit many (most?) of the things that are particularly close to Santa Claus.

Beyond that I do suggest you check out the Bloomington forum for the thread(s) I mentioned earlier. Also since many of the southern Indiana forums are low traffic you might go ahead and scan the threads for Santa Claus, Bloomington and some of the other towns in the general area (off the top of my head Columbus & Nashville come to mind). I'd guess in a half-hour or so you can probably skim them all and (perhaps) get some ideas of other things to do.

Lastly, you might indicate general topics that interest you & your family (history, nature, arts, shopping, etc.) as that will help us tailor suggestions towards things that you're likely to enjoy.

That's all for this round,

hlo

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?

We visit Holiday World every summer. We book an RV at Lake Rudolph since it is right next door (with discount tickets available) and take the shuttle to Holiday World. Typically we take the first shuttle of the day to the park. Ride rides till lunch time then go back to the RV for lunch. Back to the park after lunch for water rides in the afternoon when it is warmer. If you want to enjoy another day, Holiday World has second day discount tickets you can purchase before you leave the park. One day or two is a choice you can make after the first day and still save money if you want a second day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?

A belated thanks for all the information. We're finally going next week and kids are excited. We've decided to go to HW for 1 day and possibly hit the water park portion later in the afternoon. We plan to do the local stuff on Saturday including Lincoln's home and Pioneer Tale Saturday night. One more quick question, are there a any decent sit down restaurants in the vicinity? It looks like the Jingle Bell pub is closed. All of the kids that will be with us are well behaved and we would rather have a nice evening meal together than fast food. Any input is appreciated.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?

A few weeks ago, my wife and I thought it was going to storm all day Friday (at least the weatherman thought it would). So, we rushed and rode all the dry rides and did all the waterpark on our first day there which was a Thursday. We also were able to see some shows, so the whole park is doable in one day. We ended up gambling and buying the second day ticket when we were leaving the park and we were glad we did as Friday was perfect except a couple small showers.

In Santa Claus, we have either always eaten at Holiday World, or cooked our on food back at the camper in Lake Rudolph. But if you don't mind a short drive, I would suggest two very good (imo) sit-down restaurants.

The first, Schnitzelbank, is a German restaurant in Jasper which is about a 30 minute drive from Holiday World. The food is great and the salad bar is awesome! Here is the website: http://www.schnitzelbank.com/ and here is the TA Review: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37215-d52…

The second, The Overlook, is a nice restaurant in Leavenworth which is about a 40 minute drive from Holiday World. The food here is also great (imo), and it has a beautiful view of the Ohio River valley. Here is the website: http://www.theoverlook.com/ and here is the TA Review: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37260-d39…

Crawfordsville...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?

I thought I heard on the radio that if you purchase the first day ticket, the second day is free?

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?

Hi jlgrimes2015, welcome to TA!

If you hear the commercial on the radio again, please share the exact info, as that is a great deal if it is true!

Normally, online prices and AAA prices are the best bet. http://www.holidayworld.com/ticket-options/

When you leave at the end of the first day, you can purchase your second day ticket at the reduced price. (I think the total cost would be the same as buying the 2 day ticket right away.)

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?

I'll just point out that this thread is over 2 years old and the OP has completed their visit.

Also, given the age of the thread & responses, I wouldn't be surprised that pricing (specifically related to the 2-day pass aspect) might have changed.

hlo

Reply to: Holiday World/Splashin' Safari, 1 day or 2?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted