We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Sports Bar for NFL Sundays?

Which South Bend hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Bend, Indiana
2 posts
Save Topic
Best Sports Bar for NFL Sundays?

Hello again!

I'm moving to Downtown SB soon and I'm a NY Jets fan (unfortunately)...so I'm going to have to go to bars to watch NFL football on Sundays. Any suggestions? I also saw Indiana has some liquor blue laws (no off premise sales on Sundays)... do bars operate during Sunday NFL hours?

Thanks!

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
895 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Sports Bar for NFL Sundays?

Can't speak as to the best place to watch in South Bend (and I am interested in seeing the response as my son is at Notre Dame), but I can assure you that bars operate on Sunday. I have a local bar in the Indy suburbs that has Sunday Ticket where we go to watch the Browns and alcohol is definitely flowing.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Sports Bar for NFL Sundays?

Here's a little more detail/history, etc. regarding Sunday alcohol sales in Indiana:

1. Indiana is the only state that has a statewide ban on Sunday carry out sales (but there are some cracks, see below). Others may allow it to be banned on a local level (even beyond Sunday), but only Indiana has it as a statewide law. It's worth noting that there has been at least some talk about repealing this law, but I don't expect it to happen in the immediate future. (As an aside, don't plan on buying a car on Sunday either, that's against the law too!)

2. Many (most?) bars are indeed open on Sunday so merely getting something to drink isn't an issue; it's carry out that isn't allowed.

I will point out from a historical standpoint, this has loosened in the roughly 3 decades since Sunday by the drink sales were authorized. Originally only restaurants were allowed to sell drinks on Sunday (you had to have a certain percentage of your sales from food as opposed to alcohol) and you actually had to order food in order to get served alcohol. (I can remember going with friends & ordering a basket of fries & then proceeding to get multiple pitchers of beer.)

This is has loosened over the years, basically you don't have to order food anymore and it seems like there are more bars (that don't really even serve food, but it's worth noting that by law *all* bars in Indiana must serve food); not sure if the law itself has changed or if it's just not being as strictly enforced (my guess is the former).

3. Some cracks are appearing in the Sunday carry out ban. For at least a few years wineries have been allowed to sell *their* products out of their tasting rooms on Sundays and this was recently expanded to breweries as well (the breweries simply argued that they should be treated the same). Now, this may mean that your carry out beer will be warm, but not 100% sure (if you can get a growler you'll probably be okay). I'm not up on all the aspects of this because I simply have too many years of living in Indiana and going "wait it's Saturday, do I need to stop by the liquor store?" (My wife on the other hand seems to only get the idea of going to a liquor store on Sunday, it's uncanny!)

Bottom Line on this one: Is if you're willing to drive, you can get beer or wine, but no hard liquor (unless you travel across the state line).

4. As a side note, be aware that some of the other little factors related to alcohol sales are kind of weird. For example you can purchase beer & wine (and hard liquor) at many different kinds of businesses, but those that can sell it *cold* are limited.

Hope this helps,

hlo

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Sports Bar for NFL Sundays?

No shortage of bars here to watch the games. Best would depend on your tastes and age.

4. Re: Best Sports Bar for NFL Sundays?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about South Bend