We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurants in Marion/Cedar Rapids?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best restaurants in Marion/Cedar Rapids?

Hi all -

My in-laws (40-ish with two tween girls) moved to Marion last month. Since they have barely unpacked and don't kow the area, I thought for Christmas I would send them a gift certificate to a nice restaurant.

Any recommendations for a nice non-chain restaurant? How far is Mt. Vernon? I read about Lincoln Cafe but I am not sure how far that is. How are Zoey's Pizza and Cibo Fusion?

Thanks.

Iowa
Level Contributor
574 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurants in Marion/Cedar Rapids?

I haven't spent alot of time eating out in Cedar Rapids but Biaggi's is good for Italian food. Also have eaten a few times at Granite City and always enjoyed myself. Maybe some locals will respond.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
Level Contributor
506 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurants in Marion/Cedar Rapids?

Mt. Vernon is not far away at all, and the Lincoln Cafe is excellent. Depending on where they live in Marion, they could get to Mt. Vernon in perhaps 20 mins. I haven't been to Zoey's Pizza for many years, but it was good back in the day.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurants in Marion/Cedar Rapids?

Zoey's is delicious and it's super cool inside. Mt. Vernon is probably a 20 minute drive, but I've never been to Lincoln Cafe. I would also check out some downtown CR restaurants because a few cool ones have opened since the flood.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurants in Marion/Cedar Rapids?

I went with Lincoln Cafe, but they haven't redemmed the gift certificate yet. When they called to thank me they were actually in the car on the way to Zoey's. So I should soon be able to post feedback on both places!

Thanks to all of you for your advice, TripAdvisor is the best!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restaurants in Marion/Cedar Rapids?

Avoid the Butterfly Cafe. Overpriced, lousy food, and unconcerned with the customer's experience.

Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best restaurants in Marion/Cedar Rapids?

Assuming you are still looking for restaurants (since you in-laws still probably live in the area), Zoey's Pizza in Marion is fantastic. Vino's Italian in Cedar Rapids is delicious - small and intimate-I think they would really like that. There is a newer restaurant in the fun NewBo district in Cedar Rapids called Bata's that has great sandwiches and also very good flatbread pizzas - a great newer place. Also a delicious restaurant in downtown Cedar Rapids that is new called Cobble Hill. A little pricier, better for a birthday or anniversary probably, but very good. They are only open for dinner at this point, and the menu is selective. If you are looking for New American type of food, I really enjoy White Star Ale House also. It is downtown, but that is for more of a younger crowd - depending on the age of your in-laws. They would also have a very nice meal at The Class Act. They have a very nice brunch there also.

Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best restaurants in Marion/Cedar Rapids?

Assuming you are still looking for restaurants (since you in-laws still probably live in the area), Zoey's Pizza in Marion is fantastic. Vino's Italian in Cedar Rapids is delicious - small and intimate-I think they would really like that. There is a newer restaurant in the fun NewBo district in Cedar Rapids called Bata's that has great sandwiches and also very good flatbread pizzas - a great newer place. Also a delicious restaurant in downtown Cedar Rapids that is new called Cobble Hill. A little pricier, better for a birthday or anniversary probably, but very good. They are only open for dinner at this point, and the menu is selective. If you are looking for New American type of food, I really enjoy White Star Ale House also. It is downtown, but that is for more of a younger crowd - depending on the age of your in-laws. They would also have a very nice meal at The Class Act. They have a very nice brunch there also.

8. Re: Best restaurants in Marion/Cedar Rapids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Cedar Rapids