We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget friendly hotels

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Budget friendly hotels

My husband and I just moved to Iowa City from the UK and we haven't got a car organised yet. We'd like to do a wee bit of exploring and have found cheap megabus tickets to take us to Des Moines. I've looked for low cost hotels in the area but I'm not really sure where would be best to book. Can anyone give me any advice in terms of location and transportation? We'll only be there for one night and will only have rucksacks with us so happy to walk, take the bus, or get a cab if necessary. It just seems on the map that most budget hotels are quite far away from downtown. I'd really appreciate any help!

USA
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget friendly hotels

I am not that familiar with Des Moines, but I just spent a night for $112 at

Quality Inn & Suites Event Center

929 3rd Street

Des Moines, IA

(515) 282-5251 ‎

The Megabus drop off location at 4th Street and Walnut is 0.7 miles from the Quality Inn and just around the corner from the Royal Mile, the closest you will get to an English pub in Iowa. http://royalmilebar.com/

The Iowa State Capitol building is worth a visit and is about 1.1 miles from the Quality Inn.

I cannot help you with public transportation in Des Moines. You will also find cheap Megabus fares between Iowa City and Chicago.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,489 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget friendly hotels

When will you be traveling? I'm thinking of going to Des Moines the weekend around the 15th. Then, I found out there's a big foot race that weekend, and hotel rooms are expensive and not very available.

Are you familiar with Priceline? Last summer I got a room at the Holiday Inn close to downtown. Not a great hotel, but it was fine, and cost $60.00

I stayed at the Quality Inn Event Center during the State Fair, I think our rooms were about $110.00. If there's nothing going on, they'll be quite a bit cheaper than that.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget friendly hotels

Thank you both for your help. I had spotted the Royal Mile bar - looking forward to a pint of Strongbow cider!!

I had been thinking the 15th until I saw how busy the hotels were. Now we are going the weekend of the 29th. The Quality Hotel is $129, and the Holiday Inn is similar. I just think it's a bit steep for somewhere to lay the head, since we'll be out all day exploring.

The Hotel Fort Des Moines is about $100, and then there are Baywater Inn and Travelodge places further out of town for about $60. I'm just curious how far out of town they actually are?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,489 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget friendly hotels

I recommend looking at one of the booking sites. I just looked on Orbitz, they have Hotel Fort Des Moines for $89.00. Also Embassy Suites for $115.00, which is pretty cheap for that property. The rate includes a full breakfast, as well as free drinks for a couple hours every evening.

Orbitz also lists the distance from downtown Des Moines in their listings. That should help you figure out distances.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
Level Contributor
509 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget friendly hotels

There is bus service in Des Moines (see http://www.dmmta.com/area-route-map.cfm) to help you get around once you're over here. As others have suggested, you should be able to find a little better price on some of the downtown hotels by booking through a site like Priceline.com or similar. An alternative would be to find a more reasonably priced hotel near the airport, taking the bus downtown for sightseeing.

From downtown, the bus can take you to Valley Junction in West Des Moines, to the Gray's Lake/Water Works Park area for a good walk (if the weather is good) and, if you're downtown on a Sat. a.m., don't miss the Farmer's Market.

The Royal Mile is a lot of fun! Hopefully, you'll feel right at home there and will have an enjoyable visit.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget friendly hotels

Thanks again. Of course I have checked all the usual sites, priceline, orbitz, expedia etc, I was just wondering what distances were like in real terms, rather than miles. In the end I've booked the Embassy Suites which is pretty central. There are renovation works going on which is why the price is good, and they are only on during the day so shouldn't present any sort of problem. Looking forward to the trip now!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,489 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget friendly hotels

Embassy Suites is in a really good location. Enjoy your stay.

midwest
Level Contributor
92 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget friendly hotels

There are bike rental kiosks in downtown Des Moines, if you're so inclined. One rental station is a block from the Embassy Suites. See www.desmoinesbcycle.com. The kiosks have suggestions for interesting things to see by bike in the area.

9. Re: Budget friendly hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 02:18