We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

Hello. I was just wondering what the best way to get from Santa Clara to playa ancon? Is there a bus, shuttle, taxi? When we get in we are spending the night in Santa Clara then have to get to playa ancon the next day. Also if anyone knows an average price of the best way to go that would be great.

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,022 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

You can take the Viazul bus (8CUC) to Trinidad and then a cab to Playa Ancon (7CUC)

www.viazul.com

A state taxi will cost you around 100-120CUC and maybe half of that for a taxi particular?

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

Have you used the Vazul bus before? Do I need to prebook this ahead of time or can o get one there do you know?

Thanks

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,022 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

Yes, I have used them. Bring a warm sweater, the AC is always at its maximum,

You can book ahead of time on their website, but even then you need to arrive at least 1h early.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

Gengen even pre-booked State taxi is more like 60CUC - it's only 95Kms. 30-40 for a private taxi.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,022 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

I know it's close, but it's so far at the same time because the road is so bad... I had heard that it was around 100CUC, but if you have done it for 60CUC, I believe you!

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

Well I'll look into those options thank you. It says its a two hour drive. Though the Santa Clara airport site says it does not have vestabul buses or public buses that leave from it? How do I book a state taxi?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,022 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

Taxi Vinales quote 60CUC. My understanding is that they were less expensive than state taxi, and a bit more than a taxi particular that you would negotiate. Is that wrong (once gain? but being blond gives me a great excuse to be wrong as much as I want...)? I did not use them so I'm not sure.

http://taxivinalescuba.com/

Traveler, the buses don't leave from the airport, they leave from the terminus. You will find taxis at the airport.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 01:00
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

We are travelling from Santa Clara airport to Trinidad (Playa Ancon is close by) at the end of the month.

Our Casa has arranged for a Taxi to pick us up at the Airport and the quoted cost is 60CUC.

This is our first visit to the area but from what I have read this seems like a reasonable price especially for the added convenience.

It is my understanding that the Viazul buses leave from the town of Santa Clara (not the Airport).

It occurs to me that that if there is a bus already taking package tour passengers from the Airport to the Playa Ancon resorts when you arrive you could probably tag along and negotiate a really good price with them but that might be a bit hit and miss and harder to work out.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

#5 Gengen the "Vinales" site from my experience is remarkably consistent with Government taxi prices - it certainly can be used as a reliable benchmark for negotiations. We actually paid in October 25 CUC for Trinidad to Cienfuegos (a tad - 5kms? - shorter journey than to Santa Clara) for a good private taxi - this was also consistent with the rule of thumb that a taxi particular should not cost more than 3-4 times a single Viazul/Conectando fare

ps you're the smartest blond I know!.

#8 I think that is quite reasonable as a pre-booked arrangement. Saves a lot of hassle/time/uncertainty.(And yes Viazul terminal out of town).

Edited: 14 January 2014, 23:42
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon

Thanks for all the advice. Is there a way to tell the taxis apart? Is that a dumb question Baha I didn't even realize that they had different types lol. I am also blonde and will use this excuse lol. Also I guess to get to playa originally we won't be leaving from airport as we r staying night in Santa Clara. I assumed the hotel was close but it is probably not so the vizael bus or taxis are all options I guess?

Reply to: transfer from santa clara airport to playa ancon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Ancon