We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A good base?

Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
A good base?

My husband and I, (in our 50s) will be in Portugal in June and intend driving from the Algarve to the Lisbon area for 3 nights. We will be driving back to Faro the day of our departure so intend just going for it on the motorway. Is it best to do the same on our way up or is it worth doing any other route, - without loosing too much time? We would ideally like to base ourselves in one place and explore around Lisbon, Cascais, Sintra etc. Are we better to stay in Lisbon or in one of the other centres? Any other places of particular interest?

Any recommendations appreciated :)

Many thanks,

Eils

Mentioned in this post
Around Lisbon
Around Lisbon
459 Reviews
Lisbon, Portugal
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Cascais
Cascais
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
22,936 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A good base?

"Lisbon area for 3 nights" - stay in Lisboa, choose an hotel with parking and use your car only if you want to explore Cascais/Sintra areas at your own pace, explore the coast between Sintra and Cascais (going to Cabo da Roca, etc).

Mentioned in this post
Cabo da Roca
Cabo da Roca
4,936 Reviews
Colares, Portugal
Lisboa Airport
Lisboa Airport
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
Cascais
Cascais
Sintra
Sintra
Sintra Municipality, Portugal
2. Re: A good base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 07:35
Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A good base?

Thank you both so much, loads of info there so I will browse through it shortly.

I suppose my main dilemma is that I cant decide if we are better to base ourselves in Lisbon and see the city one day and travel out or to base ourselves outside somewhere and travel into Lisbon for a day. Our time is pretty short I guess so maybe it doesn't make much difference. Basically I wonder is there more to see in the city or touring outside? City visists are always nice but we would spend more time sightseeing than museums etc, specially at this time of year. And night time might be better in the city?

Thanks guys

Regards

eileen

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
4. Re: A good base?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A good base?

Thanks a million, its great to get feedback.

How about some restaurant recommendations?

Regards

Eileen

6. Re: A good base?

7. Re: A good base?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:15