We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soccer in Lisbon

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Topic
Soccer in Lisbon

We are in Lisbon from September 28th to October 2nd and would love to catch a match. I'm having trouble nailing down dates that Sporting or Benfica are playing, but it seems that FC Porto is playing at Sporting that weekend. And then I see Chelsea is in town on the 30th.

Tickets for the Chelsea match seem to be only had from resellers at crazy prices, and we don't want to pay $600 USD to see a match. Can anyone give advice on how to determine the exact day and time of the Sporting-FC Porto match, as well as the best way to get tickets? As well, do you think there is any chance of getting tickets to the Champions League match once we land?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
22,342 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soccer in Lisbon

Too soon to have the exact day and hour for Sporting-FC Porto, it's going to depend on the TV schedules the involvement of the teams on European competitions, etc, etc. because Sporting is going to receive Chelsea after, this match can be postponed or anticipated. If any tickets reach the general public it will probably be at Sporting website. In what it concerns the Sporting vs Chelsea that's a Champions League match, keep checking the FPF (Portuguese football federation) for info about tickets.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
52,098 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soccer in Lisbon

There is almost certainly no way legally you will get a ticket for the Sporting v Chelsea match. It's a guaranteed sell out to Sporting's club members, with Chelsea FC probably getting an allocation of maybe 2,000.

The exact date and kickoff time for the Sporting v Porto league match will be decided by the local TV company and will probably not be announced until two weeks in advance. Since Sporting have to play on Tuesday 30th, my guess is that would be on Saturday night 27th, possibly even Friday night 26th.

Tickets will not be on sale before the date is confirmed, so anyone claiming to have them is lying. That game is also more than likely to be a sellout to members.

For a check on the league game date and time see www.ligaportugal.pt or www.sporting.pt

The Sporting site will also have any information regarding the availability if tickets to the general public,if there are any, for both matches.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 19:50
Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Soccer in Lisbon

Thanks to both of you. This is exactly the kind of info I needed.

I remember from a trip to Spain in 2008 how hard it was to understand the schedules, and luckily I was able to see both Barcelona (League match)and Real Madrid (Champions League) in their home stadiums in the same trip. I was hoping to have similar luck on this trip, but it may just not work out.

As an alternative, I would assume these games would be televised. If so, what type of place should I be looking for to watch them with the local crowd?

4. Re: Soccer in Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 06:16