We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown dining before a concert?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
188 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown dining before a concert?

Hi! Coming to Wichita for a concert at the Intrust arena. Staying at the Hyatt. Are there any good restaurants to seek out within walking distance? If so, do we need a reservation, especially on a concert night? I've seen some good reviews about the restaurant at the hotel, any thoughts? Would prefer something unique to you, not a chain if possible.

We have never stayed in Wichita, always just pass through, so will be interested to see a bit more of the city.

Thanks for any help!

Edited: 20 April 2012, 05:29
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown dining before a concert?

I can't think of a unique restaurant that I would walk to from Intrust, but there are many good places aroud town, for example - Stroud's.

Wichita has an excelent zoo and many good museums. Most of them are clustered in Old Town or along the river.

Wichita, Kansas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown dining before a concert?

That is a great question "clkc86", Harvest Kitchen and Bar located off the Lobby of the Hyatt Regency Wichita is a great option and just an elevator ride from your room. For more details check out their website at www.Harvest Kitchenand Bar.com

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
662 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown dining before a concert?

I vote for Cafe Bel Ami. It is a nice restaurant, a little old school, reservations definatetly (I don't think they really like walk-ins actually - from experience). I think of it is a special place to go. It is local and just a few blocks from the hotel. If you are planning on walking to Intrust from the hotel anyway, no reason not to walk to a restaurant. This, other then the hotel restaurant, are the only nicer restaurants near the Hyatt I can think of. On the other end of downtown, is "Old Town" with several restaurant choices. I would say it is about a mile or so to the East, and a few blocks North from they Hyatt. (And about 5 or so blocks North of Intrust.)

kansas
Level Contributor
964 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown dining before a concert?

I would suggest Old Town. If you are eating on an event night just make sure you leave plenty of time. You can walk to the arena after you eat.

What kind of food are you looking for? Wichita isn't so big that you couldn't eat outside of the downtown area if you have a certain type of food that you are interested in trying and then just going back down for the concert. 20-30 minutes will get you either East or West for more options.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown dining before a concert?

Definitely Cafe Bel Ami, reservations a must. There is a new upscale restaurant called Avi in the Drury Plaza Broadview just north of the Hyatt, but reviews have been mixed and I have never personally tried it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
188 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown dining before a concert?

Thank you for the suggestions! We were interested in finding out what is walkable and open to any type of place. We will look into your pickes.

Another food question for you. Are there any great foodie types of stores I should try to hit while there? I am a cook and always up for looking for new fun stuff.

I appreciate all your help!

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
662 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown dining before a concert?

fyi - Cafe Bel Ami's website recommends you plan to be there for 90 minutes so you can plan accordingly. They also say to let them know you will be attending an event when making your reservations so they can best help make sure you have the right reservation time.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown dining before a concert?

You might be interested in www.spicemerchant.com

They have a good selection of tea and fresh roasted coffee beans as well as ground coffee, many spices, pasta, hot sauce, coffee and tea accessories, kitchen gadgets ,utensils etc. Certainly worth a look.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 15:14
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
15 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown dining before a concert?

I would agree with most of the other posters that aside from Bel Ami or at the Hyatt, your next closest area will be Old Town which is near the Intrust Arena. Larkspur is a place to try as well as Playa Azul (mexican) in Old Town. There is a Latin place called Sabor and some other places that sometimes have live music. There is a french cafe called LaGallette near Douglas and Seneca which is not far from the Hyatt that has great reviews. Other choices include some BBQ places along Douglas or in the Delano district. Enjoy your stay! Wichita has a lot of hidden gems that will make your stay pleasant.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
188 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown dining before a concert?

Thank you for the responses. Heading your way tomorrow.

Another question for you. Anywhere in town for wine shopping?