We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Visit to Wichita

alabama
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Topic
Short Visit to Wichita

I will be flying into and out of Wichita and staying in Ponca City, OK. next week. I will arrive in Wichita at 11 and have the rest of day on Thursday and all day on Sun. leaving at 5. First time in Kansas and Oklahoma. Looking for not to miss things to do. Thanks

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Visit to Wichita

My number one recommendation would be to drive about 50 miles northwest to Hutchinson, Kansas where you will find two of the best non-seasonable attractions in Kansas.

The Kansas Cosmosphere & Space Center is one of the finest space museums in the world. Among many other things they have the Apollo 13 command capsule, Liberty Bell 7 and the largest collection of Soviet space memorabilia outside the former Soviet Union.

The other, newer, museum is the Kansas Underground Salt Museum (recently renamed Strataca). 650' below the surface, it is the only such museum in the western hemisphere.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Visit to Wichita

Two sights here in Wichita that are certainly worth while are the Sedgwick County Zoo,weather permitting, and Wichita Botanica,www.botanica.org has a light show and light decorations from 5:30-8:30 every night till Christmas. You can read about it on their web sit.

The Hutchinson suggestions are also worth while, especially the Cosmosphere.

www.botanica.org

Edited: 28 November 2013, 18:38
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
112 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Visit to Wichita

If it's not too cold, you can watch the lighting of the ring of fire at the Keeper of the Plains.

kansastravel.org/…ringoffire

It's a neat experience and doesn't take long.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
675 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Visit to Wichita

I agree about the ring of fire. I always recommend Cowtown. It is open during the day, and will be decorated for the holiday. You will want to check their website for hours of operation. I know they are having activities this weekend, and I believe next. I don't think the special activities are on Sunday, however.

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Visit to Wichita

Keeper of the Plains and Sedgwick County Zoo get my vote. I grew up in Wichita and I've been to the zoo numerous times- it never gets old. Also enjoy seeing The Keeper every time I used to drive in that area.

6. Re: Short Visit to Wichita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2016, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Wichita