We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must See places

Which Cave City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hilliard
Level Contributor
39 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Must See places

Hello

I am taking my 9 year old son here next week and would like to know what are the best places to experience? I have Mammoth Caves, Crystal Onyx Cave and Abe Lincolns log cabin as places to visit. What are other non touristy locations that we should see while we are there? I would like to go hiking as well. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
799 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must See places

I can't think of too many non touristy places to visit in the area that is basically a touristy hot bed. However, I would recommend visiting Cub Run Cave and Historic Diamond Caverns. IMO they are neat places that get overshadowed a bit.

Hilliard
Level Contributor
39 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must See places

Thanks! I'm just looking to avoid wax musuems and silly things. Over looked caves are perfect!

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must See places

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g39519-d10… This place is between Hodgenville and Cave City, and has various cave tours, zip line, and museum. I wrote an extensive review in June '13, hopefully your son would be as impressed as mine.

The Abe Lincoln thing is so much more than just a log cabin. We were there for over an hour and didn't see everything. The people working there really put it over the top into fantastic-ness!

Hilliard
Level Contributor
39 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must See places

That's great to here! Thank you for the info. :) I booked some ziplining half way into our drive and have a groupon to go horse back riding as well. I think he'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sturgis, Michigan...
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must See places

I realize your trip is already over, but for the sake of future readers who may stumble across this thread, I thought I'd suggest a tour of Onyx Cave, located in Cave City, KY. We recently took a trip to Cave City to tour Mammoth Cave, and stumbled upon Onyx Cave almost by accident. Tours are about 45 minutes, have a good chance of being private (we were the only ones both on our tour and in the entire cave) and is full of wonderfully unique formations. After two tours of Mammoth (Historic and Star Chamber Lantern), I can definitively say that our tour of Onyx Cave was the much better and was the highlight of our trip.

Until recently, there was no attraction listed on TripAdvisor for Onyx Cave. However, there was a listing for Crystal Onyx Cave, also located near Cave City, KY. Because of this, many reviews for Onyx Cave experiences have mistakenly been posted to the Crystal Onyx Cave listing. I have been working with past reviewers and TripAdvisor to move these reviews to where they belong, but in the meantime, know that Onyx Cave (located directly across from Dinosaur World) offered a much more interesting, educational, and fulfilling experience than did our tours of Mammoth. I definitely consider it a hidden gem and something not to be missed if in the area.

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must See places

Well done, Devin - and great info, thanks!

Reply to: Must See places
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cave City
Recent Conversations