We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel & local advice?

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
hotel & local advice?

Will be in Lexington later this summer for a campus visit with a HS senior. Id like a hotel probably in a safe, suburban area with plenty of easy access to UK. I do not care about shopping, or chain restaurants...but also do not want to book something in a neighborhood with heavy traffic and waste time driving to town, etc. How is parking near campus for visitors? Im willing to stay downtown closer, but really want a middle budget hotel ( Hampton, HGI, etc. $80-100).

This UK visit is really our only purpose for the visit; if he ends up going there, we'll be up plenty other trips.

where to start?

Thanks,

Miller

Edited: 26 May 2011, 18:28
Lexington KY
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel & local advice?

There's a Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn and Comfort Suites near the intersection of New Circle Road (route 4) and Harrodsburg Road (route 68). It's a 5-20 minute ride straight down Harrodsburg Road to get to campus. The homes on that side of the road where the hotels are located range from about $180,000 to $400,000 or more and is a fairly quiet neighborhood, although the immediate area around the hotels has plenty of traffic given that they are located near small shops, like hair salons, mail centers, grocery stores, liquor barn, Applebees, urgent treatment center, public library, etc.

UK has a parking structure near the campus Visitor Center. The center is in the Main Building and that's typically where most tours start.

Level Contributor
46 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel & local advice?

I would suggest Springhill Suites downtown. There's also a Holiday Inn Express that's near campus. Both are within walking distance of the heart of downtown and campus. I'll put links for both below.

marriott.com/hotels/…

hiexpress.com/hotels/…hoteldetail

Lexington Ky
Level Contributor
349 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel & local advice?

I second the recommendation for Springhill Suites or Holiday Inn Express. The HI Express is right by a train track though. Not sure how loud that could be. Much closer to campus than the Beaumont hotels. Suburban? No, but safe.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel & local advice?

Thank you for responding.

Now that we have a few more answers... looking at booking the Doubletree on Richmond Road. I read something about being able to walk to places to eat, etc. and they have good rates for our dates. IS this an OK area? I realize it wont be like waking up on campus, etc. but we can live with that!

If we allow a little more time after the campus visit & interview, what should we do in Lexington that will really give him a "feel for the community"?

I think we'll have about 1/2 day or a day for that.

Thanks!

Miller

lexington, KY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel & local advice?

The Doubletree is nice - it is located in a strip center (fairly nice) and there's a Panera Bread and Smahing Tomato Pizza in the center. There's a Chop House Restaurant across Richmond Road and there used to be a Japanese restaurant nearby as well (not sure if it's still there or not). I personally would prefer being downtown just because you're around more unique, locally-owned restaurants and businesses.

For things to do, I would suggest a few different things. If you would like to do the horse experience, I would suggest Bluegrass Tours. They are bus tours and they have tours daily that go to the different horse farms. http://www.bluegrasstours.com/tours. Kentucky Ale does an awesome tour of their brewery but it's only certain times of the day so I would find out the times. www.kentuckyale.com/home/Pages/Home.aspx. Barrel House Distillery is a good place to check out too. They make moonshine! Again - varying hours. http://barrelhousedistillery.com/. The Kentucky Theater has great independent films. http://www.kentuckytheater.com/. Natasha's Bistro is a great place for live music. Very eclectic, but I will say service is not always the greatest. I normally have dinner elsewhere than go for drinks only. http://www.beetnik.com/. If you're here on a Thursday, downtown has a fun event called Thursday Night Live. Live music/food/fun in Cheapside Park. Bleu Plate Tours is a walking food tour of downtown (I will disclose that I am the Tour Operator and am, of course, bias!). It's a great way to get familiar with downtown, get a little history of the area and experience the food scene all in one. http://www.bleuplatetours.com.

I hope you have a great trip to our fine city!

Laura

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel & local advice?

Thank you, Laura...the downtown food tasting tour does sound fun. will look into that. I think we'll leave the other activities for a visit when we are not bringing a 17 Y.O. to visit UK, hahaha.

we will likely take our time driving to and out of town, and will see farms here & there, but really...i guess what i mean is if you were using Lexington's assets to recruit a student, what near or off campus must sees would you direct me to?

He's more sports & outdoorsy that into the arts.

Thanks!

7. Re: hotel & local advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2012, 15:15