We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch??

Ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch??

A group of us will be passing through Lexington on our way to Norris Lake and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good place for lunch that is not far from I-75. Something other than a typical chain would be nice. Thanks!

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch??

Take a look at Ramsey's Diner. I haven't been to the one nearest I-75, but

the food should be the same as the older locations.

Address:

3090 Helmsdale Pl, Lexington, KY 40509-2225

http://www.ramseysdiners.com/

Lunch Menu:

www.ramseysdiners.com/images/menus/lunch.pdf

Ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch??

Thank you!! Do you happen to know how close this location is to I-75?

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch??

I'm not super familiar with this particular Ramsey's location. However, MapQuest shows that it's only around 2 miles off of the exit.

It's the "Man-O'War Blvd" exit. Can't tell if the actual exit number is mile marker #109 or #108 off of I-75.

Take a look at the map on this link (or cut &paste the link into your browser if it doesn't work). Zoom out to see the location from I-75.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=Ramsey%27s+Diner&address=3090+Helmsdale+Pl+Ste+300&city=Lexington&state=KY&zipcode=40509&latitude=38.012378&longitude=-84.420611&geocode=ADDRESS&redirect=true

Edited: 19 June 2012, 22:21
Ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch??

Thanks for your help!!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch??

That Ramsey's (Andover) is really close to the Man 'o' War exit (# 108) and is easy to find (just off the main road). It sits in a strip with Cheddar's in the front.

Going south on I-75, you will get off exit 108 and turn right (get in the middle lane as the right lane ends within half a mile or so). Turn right onto Helmsdale Place (a road) and take the first left. You will pass a bank to your left. Orange Leaf is the first business you will see in the strip and Ramsey's is about halfway down.

Ohio
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch??

Thanks so much for the detailed directions!!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
75 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch??

One of the more historic locations in Kentucky near I-75 is Berea Colledge and the main restaurant in the Boone Tavern Hotel. Prices are a bit higher than any roadside chain restaurant but the setting and the drive through the small college town are worth it for some travelers. Odds are that the wait staff in the restaurant will be students at the local college who work instead of paying tuition The hotel is 2 miles east of I-75 - about 5 minutes both ways. Exit 76 - head east into Berea - pass through town staying on Chestnut. When the road does a Y split you will see the white columns of the hotel dead ahead. Just park behind the hotel or around the green in the front. Berea has some very nice craft shops in a 2-3 block walk around the hotel that you can drop into before or after lunch - just ask the hotel desk for guidance. You will find Berea to be a picture-post-card stop. Here is a link to the restaurant - which has menu for lunch. www.boonetavernhotel.com/restaurant.asp Hours are 11-2pm for lunch. There are also smaller places to pick up a bite to eat in Berea - see trip advisor: tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g39187-Berea_Ken…

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
75 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch??

One other interesting lunch stop along I-75 is the "birthplace of Kentucky Fried Chicken" in Corbin Kentucky at the Harland Sanders Cafe. The food is exactly the same as any KFC and the counter is same as any KFC so you're not surprised. But you are eating alongside the original motel owned by Harland Sanders where he created his original recipe. You can walk around and there is a interesting exhibit about his ealy marketing approach to convince women that his motel was better than any boarding house. There is no charge for the museum. More info at: http://www.corbinkytourism.com/sandersKFC.htm

You can take exit 29 to go into Corbin - and then after stopping for lunch head through Corbin back south and enter I-75 at exit 25. So overall - about a 4-5 mile side loop. Look at a map to see the route.

If you like KFC at all - why not eat at the very first one in the world?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
75 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch??

And if you want basic fried fish, beer and a deck along side a pretty stream - then one more off the beaten path restaurants is Hall's By the River tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g39998-d40…

The location is 7.2 miles (11 minutes) east of I-75 at exit 95. Head east on state road 627 and follow the signs to Fort Boonesborough State Park (which has a small historical museum by the way) and pass the park. When you cross over the river - watch for signs to Halls and you'll circle back under and onto state road 418 along the river and Halls will be a few blocks up the road. Again - the signs will help you find it.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch??

Halls on the River is mentioned in the AAA magazine---the July/Aug issue. I had not heard of it until now.

Get answers to your questions about Lexington