We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

Flying in on a Tuesday night and staying at the Hilton Lexington Green for a training at the Hospice of the Bluegrass, There will be 4 of us

Thought we would eat at Regatta seafood first night-Close by and geeting in arouind 7PM-

Second night and third are up for grabs-

Hals on the the River soundsa good- How far away. We will rent a car

Harvest ? Is that Downtown- Opinions and other Reccomendations really appreciated

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

Hey Mustardgirl100,

As far as your 2nd and 3rd nights:

I don't think I would rent a car just to go to Halls. If you are renting one anyway, then maybe. I don't think it is as good as it once was. I have only been twice fairly recently and was not that impressed. It wasn't bad, but not worth the 30 minute drive to get there. It is on the river, but I have never been seated anywhere near a river view. I know this is an option and I would call and request it if you plan on going. There is also Bananas on the river right down the road if you are dead set on river dining.

On the other hand, if I were going to venture 30 min from Lexington, I would go to Frankfort. It is a beautiful town with great river views and good dining. You may want to try Jim's Seafood in Frankfort. They are rated very well and have river views.

As for Harvest. I have been there a couple of times and it is wonderful. It is a little pricey compared to some other places in Lexington, but I think it worth it. The deserts are some of the best I have had. If the weather is nice enough, it is a nice place to dine outside. It is not in the downtown core, but it is in an urban neighborhood; one of the nicer parts of town is just up Ashland Avenue. The central bus. district is maybe about 2 miles and Harvest is very close to University of KY campus.

If you like live music, you may want to check out www.dameky.com to see who might be playing while you are here. Sometimes they have really great shows. It is a music club on Main Street.

There is also Comedy Off Broadway in the shopping center by your hotel. It is considered a pretty good venue by some top comics, so you may want to check that out also.

Also while you are at the Hilton, you should check out Joseph Beth Booksellers if you like bookstores. It is a locally owned operation that has a few other stores in other states now.

If you like history, there are a few house museums like the Ashland estate that are nice to visit or you can go out to Keeneland and see some horses...no racing right now though. You can also do a horse farm tour with a group or schedule a visit yourself by calling one of the farms like Three Chimneys, Calumet, or Overbrook etc.

I'm not sure what your particular interests are, but I would happy to try and answer other questions.

Mentioned in this post
University of Kentucky
University of Kentucky
176 Reviews
Lexington, KY
Keeneland
Keeneland
2,293 Reviews
Lexington, KY
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Frankfort
Frankfort
Kentucky
Jim's Seafood
Jim's Seafood
172 Reviews
Frankfort, KY
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

Mustardgirl100,

I was just reading the paper on-line and saw this about Harvest:

HARVEST IS NOW GROTTO

Chef-owner sells restaurant but takes its name with him for new enterprise

John Foster has left the restaurant at 314 South Ashland and taken its name, Harvest, with him.

Foster and co-owner Nancy Everts sold the restaurant to their other partner, Drew Howell, who has changed the name to Grotto. Foster plans to reopen Harvest in another location.

The chef at Grotto is Cameron Irvin. The menu will be expanded, but many of the dishes will stay. Hours are 11:30 to 2 p.m. Tuesday to Friday, and 5:30 to 10 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday. Grotto will open for brunch beginning June 4. Call (859) 268-4374.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

A consideration is the drive to Halls would be much more scenic than the drive to Frankfort. I have been to Halls many times and the food is always good. Personal opinion I guess.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfort
Frankfort
Kentucky
Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

I wouldn't drive all the way to Frankfort either. Just outside Lexington in the cute town of Midway are 2 excellent choices-Holly Hill and the Black Tulip. In downtown Lexington, our favorite is Jonathan's at Gratz Park Inn.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfort
Frankfort
Kentucky
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Gratz Park Inn
Gratz Park Inn
217 Reviews
Lexington, KY
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

The drive to Frankfort is actually quite scenic if you take Old Frankfort Pike instead of the interstate. It really is not any further than going to Halls. I think she was trying to find something good with nice river views. I had a hard time coming up with suggestions, because I think we are sorely lacking in this area. For her or future visitors, please post any other places for this category.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfort
Frankfort
Kentucky
Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

I agree with George that we are lacking in places to eat with scenic river views. My husband is a fan of Hall's and I also grew up going there, but I'm not very impressed, except for the fried banana peppers and beer cheese. There are many other great dining options in Lexington to choose from.

Mentioned in this post
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Kentucky
Level Contributor
263 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

Agree that the drive on Old Frankfort Pike is probably "classic Kentucky" following, as it does, old stone walls built along thoroughbred horse farms; can't get much better than that?

St. George and the Dragon Pub (serves sandwiches and other lite fare along w/ drinks) also has a deck on the Kentucky River (no reservations necessary, but get there early in the evening). If you're amenable to "no river," try one of the many eateries along Broadway and St. Clair Street in Frankfort, then take the historic house tour.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfort
Frankfort
Kentucky
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents for any future Lexington travelers...

I totally agree with George about Hal's. My husband and I made the drive to Hal's last fall and we were very disappointed with the food and service. (The beer cheese was the only redeeming part of the meal...I ate more beer cheese and crackers than I ate of my entree.) It was a beautiful drive and nice setting on the river, but for the money I'd stay in Lexington and try some of the other places mentioned. My personal suggestion would be Portofino's (best filet I've had in town) or Malone's.

Mentioned in this post
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Malone's
Malone's
271 Reviews
Lexington, KY
KY
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

My favorites are Jonathan's at Gratz Park Inn and Malone's.I have never had a bad meal at either.

Mentioned in this post
Gratz Park Inn
Gratz Park Inn
217 Reviews
Lexington, KY
Malone's
Malone's
271 Reviews
Lexington, KY
Kentucky
Level Contributor
263 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Nights Choices for Local Expert

Dudley's (in an old school house in historic downtown Lexington; patio seating in nice weather) has EXCELLENT food, great prices.

Mentioned in this post
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky