We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift for college student in Lexington

Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gift for college student in Lexington

My nephew will be studying electrical engineering at the University. In lieu of boring old cash for a graduation gift, I thought I'd like to buy him some fun or entertainment in Lexington. for example, entrance into some local attraction he might consider himself too poor to go to, but which would be a good part of his Kentucky experience.

He is an avid bicyclist and does not drive, so we can range fairly far afield if there is a bike path. He eats, of course, but not real interested in food?A season pass to the Daniel Boone Natl Forest? Admission to Keeneland? a book listing all the bike trails in the area? A theater ticket (he's interested in backstage work) or anything to do with robots?

Any ideas for a nice useful gift would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Keeneland
Keeneland
2,293 Reviews
Lexington, KY
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
346 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift for college student in Lexington

For more bike related info I would check with the city by going to the following web site: http://www.lfucg.com/BikeWalkLex/

There are a few things he might be interested in that he could get to fairly easy by bike. If he likes history, there are several museums like the Lexington History Museum and Ashland (Henry Clay Esate). The Pope Villa is an on-going restoration project that is open for tours. It would appeal to people interested in history and materials in construction. It is also on the edge of campus..was used as a frat house at one time. The home was designed by the same man that designed the US capitol.

I myself don't own a bike, so I may not be the best resource. There are also tons of back roads with beautiful farms that one could ride around and explore.

If he is into live music, the Dame attracts a nice mix of artists that he may enjoy. You can check the lineup at www.dameky.com.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Ashland
Ashland
Kentucky
Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift for college student in Lexington

Hi aquatic! My husband and I are avid bicyclists and he is a double E graduate from UK's Engineering school.While I admire your creative efforts, I don't think any one of them would appeal to him! Nope, they don't appreciate fine dining. Keeneland? Uh, the racing season is over, etc. As much as I hate to say it, college students are basic in their needs and would probably appreciate good old cash. Mc Donald's or TGI Fridays gift certificates maybe. I think you can get some chain restaurant gift certificates so that if he has a date, he can use any one of them. But honestly, I polled my family on this and they all agreed that he'd prefer cash. He can find the bike trails and clubs for free. He's too poor to lose money at the races. UK has a great thetre program and he will enjoy the shows for free. Try to remember what it was like to be 18-20. He can't get into clubs or anything like that. Give him cash and write a poem!

Mentioned in this post
Keeneland
Keeneland
2,293 Reviews
Lexington, KY
3. Re: Gift for college student in Lexington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 20:17