We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easy question?

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,216 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
easy question?

Been to Lexington for a night and morning on the way to parts farther south-- this was in late April. Husband and I are photographers (for fun) and just loved wandering the back roads and taking photos of endless white fences and barns and friendly horses. Want to head off for a long weekend early March (for 3 days/nights) just to get out of Ohio. My concern is that everything will be brown and gray as opposed to green that early in the year. What do you think? Too early to make the trip? (March 8th) or will you be greened up?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: easy question?

More than likely, everything will still be brown, but it really depends on what the weather does in the next couple of weeks. I would recommend waiting until later in March or early April to get the best photos!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,216 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: easy question?

thanks! Glad to know.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: easy question?

I agree that given the brutal weather in Kentucky, Ohio, Pa., and everywhere else around here, that things will still be dull in Lexington in early March. You really should come to Lexington when all the blossoms are out (I guess that will be late March or early April, but who knows with this winter), as that is when I think the bluegrass region is most beautiful. In fact, for years I have had this photo hung in my house to remind me of how beautiful it is:

http://www.dougprather.com/detail/150.HTM

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,216 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: easy question?

thanks both. We're in Savannah early April, so... think we'll plan for a long weekend in Lexington later in April. Would like to catch the race at Keeneland on the 24th. Have never been. Looks like some Rolex? event going on at the Horse Park. Also might be fun and a good photo op on Friday and then off to the back roads for horses and farms on Saturday :) What do you think? Good plan?

And by the way-- I know not the FIRST thing about horses or horse racing-- just lovely to look at and photograph.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: easy question?

That sounds like a great plan! Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event is eventing (dressage, cross country and jumping) and is one of the triple crowns of eventing (the other two events are held in Europe). Saturday is cross country, which always makes for great photos! Keeneland is awesome as well and you don't have to be an avid horse racing fan to enjoy it.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,216 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: easy question?

so-- Saturday is a better day to go to the Rolex event? I need to look up and find out what the heck dressage and cross country is! lol

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
76 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: easy question?

Dressage is like ballet with the horse. The movements are all on a flat surface and can be very subtle. Some say it is like watching grass grow, but you must know that the movements are very precise and difficult to do. It must be appreciated. All this is viewed from your seat in an arena. Cross Country, on the other hand, is more high-octane. Horses going at top speeds over hill and dale, jumping very high, wide, and cleverly constructed jumps. Some even going into and over water. For this, you must walk on the cross country course, walking from jump to jump to see each, or some, jumps and cheer on the rider/horse. As for Keeneland, it would also be a must-do. Keeneland itself is a very genteel place and beautiful. The racing is tops. You will get some awesome photos there.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,216 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: easy question?

thanks for the explanations. Perfect! Love the idea of following and watching the jumps, etc. Will this be terribly crowded and hard to actually get shots? It sounds like a lot of fun. Like trying new things :)

Ordering tickets for Keeneland. Should I order tickets for the Rolex event now too?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: easy question?

Rolex will be crowded, but not so much that you won't be able to get good shots! If you go Saturday to cross country, you can buy tickets here: http://www.rk3de.org/tickets.html, but you don't need to buy them in advance. If you were going to dressage (Friday) or jumping (Sunday), I would recommend buying tickets now.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,216 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: easy question?

really? Why no need for tickets ahead of time for the cross country? Is it because you're not in a grandstand? Just show up at the horse park that morning? Is there a fee for the park AND then the cross country thing? Can still wander the park that day, yes?

and by the way-- you all have been great with help here! Should you decide to ever do a road trip.... look me up and I'll help as best I can! :)