We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good place for kids??

Level Contributor
20 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
good place for kids??

We were thinking of coming up this way for a trip and I was wondering if the was much for kids to do. Ages 9,6, 3. All boys.

Level Contributor
3,589 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good place for kids??

If they like horses and history there seems to be a lot of places to see. There is a children's theater as well. Otherwise, shopping, distillery tours, wineries and breweries, University of Kentucky is there so there may be collegiate sports if they like that. Three is pretty young for many of those things, though. If you choose Louisville and cross over to Cincinnati there is the zoo and a pretty good water park.

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good place for kids??

Outside of the Horse Park, which is slanted towards kids, most would be beyond their levels.

Cincinnati does have the Children's Museum and several water parks as well as two great park systems with kid oriented activities. And then there's the Reds.

Level Contributor
389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good place for kids??

I would recommend heading to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge TN instead. There are numerous activities for kids there.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: good place for kids??

Here is our travel article on family things to do: www.visitlex.com/idea-guide/family-fun/

Wellington, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: good place for kids??

YMCA of Central Kentucky

381 W Loudon Ave

This place is kind of for child care and stuffs.

It has swimming pool and work out room.

It has many things for children.

Since you have all boys so I highly suggest something like that because boys are really "active"

I am used to be a boy.

I love that time.

Now, I still like to be a boy.

It is way so much fun acting childish.

Who cares, right?

One thing, their customer's service may be not that good.

The staffs are unprofessional so if you think about some nice place, it is not the one.

If you need somewhere to take care of your kids, I think it is a good idea.

If you kind of hanging out with you kids as well, may be not.

Also, before joining we had a hard time getting a one-day pass to check out the facilities.

They have a steep joining fee (in addition to their monthly membership), and are not friendly to non-members (for instance, you cannot pay for drop-in use of the outdoor pool during the summer).

Given that the Y is publicly supported, and exists by and for the benefit of the community, you would think they would be more friendly to the public! Instead, they operate as a cool and impersonal bureaucracy.

I experience the poor customer's service before.

It is not that fun.

So, think carefully.

Big Blue Bird Early Childhood Center

1945 Eastland Pkwy

This is quite a private place.

It is really nice about customer's service.

They have long term teachers to take care of the children and it is really hard to see in other child care center.

Get cheap flight deal with enjoyment: http://bit.ly/1oUMHhJ

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
49 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good place for kids??

Lexington has a nice, pretty Arboretum with a Children's Garden. It does have many historic sites, which might be a little boring to the kids. Louisville is a nice place with a zoo, several parks, etc. And Newport, KY (across from Cincy) has a great Aquarium, though a little pricy.

Frankfort, Kentucky
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good place for kids??

I'm not sure of what kind of activities interest your boys, but here are a few options:

The Explorium is a children's museum in the downtown area. It isn't as nice as the ones in Cincinnati or Louisville, but my son enjoyed it. There are also semi-regular Groupons available for it, so keep your eyes on that if you're interested.

The Kentucky Horse Park and Keeneland are both great horse destinations. Keeneland will be having its fall meet in October, but there are things going on out there other times of year as well. The spring meet in April is usually more popular as it leads up to the Kentucky Derby in Louisville in May. The Kentucky Horse Park is a bit more hands-on for kids.

If they like hiking or nature, Raven Run Nature Sanctuary and McConnell Springs Nature Park are both great options as is the Arboretum near the University of Kentucky.

There are also many kid-friendly restaurants in Lexington.

8. Re: good place for kids??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Lexington