We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

My 18 year old son is auditioning for American Idol at Freedom Hall. Wristbands are to be picked up July 19th beginning at 8 am and auditions are July 21st beginning at 8 am. I believe people can line up as early as 5 am on both days. We were thinking of bringing the whole family (other sons are 6, 10, and 15) but don't know what there is to do in Louisville. We are tentatively booked at the Springhill Suites by the airport because the rooms hold six people and it appears to be across the street from the Kentucky Fair and Exhibition Center -- is this a good place to stay? Is this area safe? The reviews I have read on Six Flags are not good, I know Churchill Downs is not racing....so I am a little concerned that my family may be bored. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Louisville
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

The Springhill suites are very close to the Freedom hall, so no better place to sleep. The area is safe but do not go to the west side of the City (after 7th Street) it is unsafe. You have different things to do like speed museum, fourth street live, Muhammad ali center and for the adults a visit at one of the Kentucky bourbon produceres.

I hope your sun has a very good Idols and maybe we will se him on TV.

Rob

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

Thanks for the info. Do you think we be better off to stay near one of the malls (St. Matthew's or Oxmoor) so we'd be closer to restaurants and other places? Are the areas around these malls safe?

Thanks for all of your help and input -- it is very much appreciated.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

There will be close to 20,000 people auditioning. Stay where you can get a room. For active teens, downtown is better. There's a trolley that runs all over the city and many things to do. If you stay "near the mall" that would be somewhere near the I-64 Hurstbourne Lane area which is very busy and the traffic is terrible. However, you are near the interstate and chain restaurants, movies, etc . Here's my list of things to do that I wrote a while ago:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2307-Live_it_u…

Best of luck. I am professional musician and one of my jobs is playing the calliope on the Belle of Louisville steamboat which is sailing this weekend. If your son is truly gifted, make sure he has a song with a good range and that he practices in front of people and has good stage presence.

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
152 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

LLindaC, I am just wondering how can you possibly know how many people will be auditioning for American Idol? Are you psychic?

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

I heard that on the news yesterday. Why don't you check the sources before calling people names?

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

That was on FOX news, btw...I was in the kitchen cooking and they said that app 20,000 people will be arriving at the Fairgrounds in their estimate. Now, maybe they were including friends and family, so NO I am not sure of the exact number but there will be a lot of traffic issues as well as other concerns with a group that large.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

LLindaC -- Thanks for all of your help and info! I've looked over your list of places to go and things to do. After we get out wristbands Saturday morning we will be looking for things to see and do Saturday and Sunday while we wait for the audition on Monday. Your list will be very helpful to us. I really appreciate you directing me to it.

My son auditioned for Idol two years ago in Memphis. More than 30,000 people showed for that audition and filled the FedEx Arena. The turnout could be huge in Louisville because the city is centrally located in the U.S. We had a great time in Memphis even though he didn't make it past the first round. Certain judges/producers at certain tables are looking for something specific -- for example, one table only put through females, another only put through males, another only put the people in costumes through, another only put through the BAD people, and many tables put no one through at all and didn't even have "golden tickets" for the next round. The judge at my son's table pulled him aside and asked him to come find him at the MN audition later that month because he would be putting through guys -- but we couldn't make it to MN. SO many extremely talented people show up and it comes down to pure luck of what line you end up in. BUT -- it was a really great, fun experience and we have nothing else to do this weekend, so he will try again in Louisville.

Anyway, that was MORE info than you probably ever wanted to know! Thanks again for the info. I think we will go to the Louisville Slugger museum on Saturday and maybe hit the malls on Sunday. We'll have to have eat at the Hard Rock while we are there too. Should be fun!

One more question....is it reasonable to walk from the Springfield Suites over to Freedom Hall?

Thanks again!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

Hi again! That is exactly the info I like to hear! Several of my daughter's friends are auditioning.

I called the Springhill Suites for you. The girl at the desk, Jo Ann, said you can walk, but they have a free shuttle to the Fairgrounds. I think that will work best for you! Best of luck to you and your son and enjoy our city!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

Thanks so much LLindaC! It was so nice of you to call the hotel for us! I hadn't thought of doing that myself! You have really gone out of your way for us and we are very grateful. If you ever need info about the Metro Detroit area (or Michigan in general), I hope I can repay the favor and help you!

Good luck to your daughters' friends at the audition. The important thing to remember is that thousands of GREAT singers won't even make it past the first round -- so just have fun and enjoy the entire experience. You meet lots of people from lots of places and once you are a part of the process it makes watching the show even more fun!

10. Re: Where to stay for American Idol auditions July 19 & 21

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 11:22