We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birthday present

Which Louisville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
birthday present

hi all, im from australia and my hubby and i are coming to the Usa in Oct/Nov his birthday is in september and im trying to decide on what to get him, so i thought maybe i can suprise him when we get to the usa with something special we can do that we can do only in america.. can anyone help?

any ideas would be appreciated! even if they sound silly.. hehehe..

thank you in advance

lisa

Level Contributor
417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: birthday present

Does he like bourbon? You could take a tour of distilleries and dip your own bottle at Markers Mark. You could have a personalized baseball bat made at Louisville Slugger. Go on a tour of Mammoth Cave.Go to the Muhammad Ali Center. In St. Louis go in the Arch.Good Luck!!

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: birthday present

Thoroughbred horse racing?

Keeneland (in Lexington, Kentucky) will be open for live racing Oct. 9th - Oct. 31st. Lexington is about 1.5 hours from Louisville. An easy drive down I-75.

Churchill Downs (in Louisville) opens on November 1st.

An alternate idea.....a flying lesson.

Buy him a flying lesson. He doesn't need to have any sort of license since he will be with an instructor. Bowman Field here in Louisville has several flight schools. (The planes are usually four seaters. You should be able to go too)

Generally, it will take about an hour & a half for the full lesson. They usually start on the ground and show him all the parts of the plane and how to perform a "pre-flight" check. That takes about half and hour. Then they'll go fly for thirty to forty-five minutes. Afterward, it takes another twenty minutes or so to put the plane up.

It's been years since I've priced a lesson, but I'm guessing it will cost about $150.

Central American Avaiation

flightaware.com/resources/airport/KLOU/servi…

Louisville Executive Avaition

flightaware.com/resources/airport/KLOU/servi…

If you schedule the lesson for late afternoon, you could have dinner at Les Relais afterward. It's a really nice French restaurant located on the airport. If the weather is nice, they offer outdoor dining where you can watch the planes take off & land. http://www.lerelaisrestaurant.com/

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
326 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: birthday present

Downtown Louisvile makes a great "home base" to see a lot of areas, and very unique offerings. You might enjoy "Glassworks" in downtown Louisville. www.louisvilleglassworks.com, it is a glass studio with glass blowing, tours etc. You can blow your own glass ornament. Very interesting. Also check out Mint Julep tours www.mintjuleptours.com, for Bourbon and horse farm customized tours. While downtown The Muhammad Ali Center, and Louisville Slugger Museum are well worth a visit. Hope this helps.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
225 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: birthday present

when will you be in Louisville and for how long?

What interests/hobbies does your husband have?

Louisville
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: birthday present

If you're shooting for "only in America" ideas then the following would be a short list for the Louisville area:

-a day at Churchill Downs (in November), the home of the one and only Kentucky Derby.

-Visit Mammoth Cave - the world's longest cave system. Note: 2 hour drive.

- Louisville Slugger Museum, only for the baseball fan though.

- Muhammad Ali Museum.

- Visit a bourbon distillery, Woodford Reserve or Maker's Mark would be the top picks. Approx. 1 hour drive for WR, 1.25 hours to MM.

australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: birthday present

thankyou for all your wonderful ideas, he definatly is a bourbon man so we will be going to a few of the distilleries for sure, im also considering when we are in new orleans taking him on one of those hover craft things in the swamps, i think that would be lots of fun, although im a little scared to think maybe we could get very close to an alligator.. arghhh.. lol..

once again thankyou

7. Re: birthday present

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 05:17