We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Brown vs Marriott Downtown

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
The Brown vs Marriott Downtown

Hi TA--

Which is the better hotel--the brown or the marriott downtown?

Definitely making it part of the trip to have a Hot Brown in the Brown restaurant. But I have a better price for the Marriott--plus would like to check out 4th street live. Am I cheating myself out of a full Louisville experience if I don't actually **stay** at the Brown? Help!

Thanks,

L.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
231 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Brown vs Marriott Downtown

While the Brown Hotel is historic and beautiful, I would probably go with the best rate. The Marriott is also closer to Fourth Street Live. You can check out the Brown when you go for your Hot Brown, ask to see quest rooms for future visits. Both are very nice hotels, just in different ways.

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Brown vs Marriott Downtown

We used Priceline and put our daughter in the Marriott for $49.00! I agree, I'd stay at the Marriott....the Brown is wonderful but the best parts are the lobby, ballrooms and restaurants. The rooms are a bit cramped. We stayed on the concierge level once and while it was lovely, I would have preferred a more comfortable room. Kind of apples and oranges! btw- we have a trolley that runs all over downtown, no need to take a cab.

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Brown vs Marriott Downtown

very helpful advice--thank you! just wasn't sure if by not staying at the Brown I'd miss the experience of their full service hotel--but it seems safe to say the "best of the Brown" is really in the grandeur of architecture and the food history. If a good room is to be had at the Marriott, I'll take it. So I think staying at the Marriott but "visiting" the Brown is the best way I can have my derby pie and eat it too.

cheers,

RT

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Brown vs Marriott Downtown

You might also want to check 21C for a real special experience. It is a hoot.

5. Re: The Brown vs Marriott Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2010, 05:17