We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth to take kids if not really horse fans

Which Louisville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Worth to take kids if not really horse fans

We are driving through Louisville and staying over on our way to Greeneville. We only have a day to spend. So we are going to Little SLuggars. I read its about a two hour museum visit. Someone mentioned Lexingtons Horse park...but its an hour to Lexington and an hour back That doesnt give us much time to explore museum and horse park...and then when we leave Louisville in the morning...we would be driving back through Lexington again. Seems like waste of driving time. We have to be in Greenville by late afternoon the next day...so we cant really do anything after our night in Louisville. Living near Arlington Heights Il race track....my kids watch fireworks there and racing every year...but are not big horse fans. Is it worth visiting Churchill downs on a Tuesday after Slugger? I dont care about zoos...we have two really good ones in Chicago. I think we would be over museums after the slugger one...not sure what else to do. (kids are 7-10)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
225 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth to take kids if not really horse fans

I took my nephews, 7 and 10 at the time, to The Ky Derby Museum.

We all really enjoyed it.

They also like to get a loaf of bread and go to Cavehill Cemetary and feed the ducks and swans.

This is a beautiful cemetary you can explore.

Also we like to go to Waterfront park and play in the sprinklers, walk the path, and play in the playground.

Louisville, KY USA
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth to take kids if not really horse fans

The horse park North of Lexington is outstanding. It showcases all the breeds, not just throughbreds, and the museum and exhibits and rides are most enjoyable.

If you want to stay just in Louisville, the Science Museum and the Frazier History Museum are both across the street from the Louisville Slugger Museum. You could hit two museums in one day with no transit time between them--and enjoy lunch at Luigi's on the same block.

Edited: 11 June 2010, 20:07
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth to take kids if not really horse fans

Frazier Museum is having a pirate exhibit now as well:

http://www.frazierpirates.org/

It is across the street from Slugger and a really great experience. Our Science Museum pales in comparison to the one in Chicago (but we get the Star Trek exhibit first - so there!). You may want to see if there is a baseball game when you are in town or take a ride on the Belle of Louisville.

4. Re: Worth to take kids if not really horse fans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2010, 05:17