We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Derby Weekend

New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Derby Weekend

Hi. Three couples will be traveling together for the Derby weekend. Hotel (Galt House) and Derby tix are all set. Now what do we do with the rest of the time. We arrive Thursday during the and leave Sunday. We have no plans to attend the Oaks. Any suggestions for restaurants, things to do etc? Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

Superior, Colorado
Level Contributor
161 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Derby Weekend

We're thinking about making this trip next year (2012), so admittedly my post has questions not answers for you. Can I ask:

When did you purchase your lodging package from The Galt?

When/where did you get your Derby tickets?

My wife is a horse-person and a trip to the Derby has been at the top of her list for many years. I hope you have a wonderful time and that we can emulate that a year later.

Level Contributor
417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Derby Weekend

There will be a Derby parade on thursday night along broadway. 4th street live and the bars along bardstown rd will be hopping all week and weekend. I would check back here or with louisville visitors bureau closer to derby. I hope you have a great time!!!

New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Derby Weekend

We purchased 11/1/10 for the 2011 derby. We used Derbybox.com for the tickets and hotel. They are good so far!

Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Derby Weekend

Once you decide on the restaurants, I'd suggest that you go ahead and make your dinner reservations. OpenTable.com works well.

Louisville is a restaurant town. You'll need to give us some idea of the type of food, atmosphere & price point to help narrow the field.

Are you renting a car?

Charlotte, North...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Derby Weekend

Thinking of using Derbybox for the hotel/ticket package for the 2012 Derby. How was your experience with them?

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Derby Weekend

Be aware that many of the clubs and restaurants have MUCH elevated prices that weekend and many restaurants offer a limited menu for a set price. Opentable is definitely a great tool to use anywhere. You might want to check at www.louisvillehotbytes about a month before Derby and post this question. Some of the smaller restaurants won't try to bleed guests. We DO have such great restaurants here. There will be lots to do outside of the Oaks, and venues keep longer hours. There are other transportation options, such as the free downtown trolleys. There are many more taxis around as well, so renting a car is really not that necessary.

Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
82 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Derby Weekend

My daughter loves horses and dreams of going to the derby someday. I'm thinking of surprising her with a father-daughter trip as a 8th grade graduation gift. It could turn into a family trip as well.

We won't be staying downtown and/or hitting all the parties. Any suggestions on where to stay? As for tickets, is Derbybox.com a good site? Can you get access to get close to the horses with any ticket type/price? Is there just one race or several minor races that we can watch that day with the same ticket? Where can I get some info on other horse related things to do while there?

Thanks for your help...

8. Re: Derby Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 21:17