We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kentucky Derby advice?

Which Louisville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, Virginia
Level Contributor
492 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Kentucky Derby advice?

Have always wanted to do the Kentucky Derby and so hubby said could be my Bday present - so many questions....

Ive seen lots of tickets for sale - very confused about where to get seats - we really want to budget and stay on the cheaper side but no gen admission and not millionaries row either!! Any suggestions since we have never been.

Also what is the dress to the Derby like? Will we need to plan on being dress to a T - dresses, suits, hats? We want to fit in but not have to overdo it!

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
113 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kentucky Derby advice?

For tickets, it really depends on how much you want to spend. You'll pay more to be in front of the finish line or in an elevated section. Just looking at Stub Hub, the most budget option would be in the 120's (bleacher seats and no cover) or sections 110-112 (folding chairs but still no cover). The starting gate is in front of 128. This link will show you the views from different sections- http://sportsvr.com/cdownsdsl.htm

You'll see every sort of outfit at the Derby but dresses, hats and suits are the norm. My other random advice- wear comfortable shoes or bring a backup pair. If there's a certain souvenir you want, buy it early in the day. It sucks to carry it around with you all day but better safe than sorry. One year by the time I decided I wanted a poster, they were sold out.

But before you buy tickets, make sure you can find a hotel room, if you need one. Choices must be pretty limited at this point.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kentucky Derby advice?

>>Also what is the dress to the Derby like?<<

The one time I was there, I saw a guy dressed in a bath robe and slippers (not kidding).

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kentucky Derby advice?

You can dress just about anything going to the Derby, it is all depend on what section you are sitting.

4. Re: Kentucky Derby advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 05:15