We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming with two dogs to visit Louisville

Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Coming with two dogs to visit Louisville

Where can we visit with dogs? Outdoor parks or walks - what about Louisville Loop?

Any great hotel that is clean and pet friendly that you'd recommend?

Thank you so much - we'll only be there one day then off to Nashville.

Mentioned in this post
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming with two dogs to visit Louisville

I don't know about Louisville specific since I'm in Lexington but my parents travel with a dog and always stay with la Quinta due to their pet friendly policy. You might want to check them out.

Mentioned in this post
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Level Contributor
399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming with two dogs to visit Louisville

I don't know about Louisville specific since I'm in Lexington but my parents travel with a dog and always stay with la Quinta due to their pet friendly policy. You might want to check them out.

Mentioned in this post
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming with two dogs to visit Louisville

The "Loop" in Cherokee Park is dog friendly (as is all of Cherokee Park). There's actually an area in the park known by the locals as "Dog Hill". Just enter the park and ask anyone you see to give you directions to "Dog Hill". It's impossible to describe how to get there online.

You can walk up and down Bardstown Road with your dog as long as it's on a leash. You'll see many people doing it.

Seidenfaden's Bar at the corner of Breckenridge & Vine is dog-friendly. You can bring the dog inside the bar as long as he/she plays well with others.

Many of the restaurants on Bardstown Road have outdoor tables. Most are okay with you having the dogs as long as they are well behaved and stay leashed near you at the outdoor table.

I believe Waterfront Park is all dog-friendly. They do a regular event in the summer months where people bring their dogs to socialize.

.....As you move out into the burbs, it will be a little harder to find dog-friendly areas. Mostly because there are mostly chain restaurants/bars, busier streets and no sidewalks. ....So be advised that if you stay someplace on Hurstbourne or Blankenbaker, you'll have a bit more of an issue. Old Louisville, Highlands, Frankfort Ave./Crescent Hill & Germantown are your best bets.

I'd try to stay at a pet-friendly hotel somewhere in the downtown area (or a B&B in the Old Louisville area) and head to Bardstown Rd./Highlands area for entertainment/dining/drinking. Cherokee Park is located a few blocks off of Bardstown Road.

Mentioned in this post
Cherokee Park
Cherokee Park
275 Reviews
Louisville, KY
Bardstown
Bardstown
Kentucky
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Highlands
Highlands
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Frankfort
Frankfort
Kentucky
Old Louisville
Old Louisville
441 Reviews
Louisville, KY
Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming with two dogs to visit Louisville

Thanks for all your info Seagrover!

We will definitely go to the Cherokee Park area and Bardstown Rd.

I have booked a La Quinta based on the recommendations of others and their pet policy - up to two pets at no extra charge.

We will go to Dog Hill to give the dogs a good run after being cooped up in the car.

Thank you again!

Mentioned in this post
Cherokee Park
Cherokee Park
275 Reviews
Louisville, KY
Bardstown
Bardstown
Kentucky
Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming with two dogs to visit Louisville

You might want to check out our new pedestrian bridge! All we ask is that you clean up after pet. The La Quinta is not close to any good restaurants, but it is an excellent, friendly property. Have a great trip!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming with two dogs to visit Louisville

Is this pedestrian bridge on the Louisville Loop?

Mentioned in this post
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Louisville
Level Contributor
962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming with two dogs to visit Louisville

The pedestrian bridge is in The Waterfront Park area (downtown -- riverfront). It crosses from Louisville into Indiana. I have yet to walk across it. It only recently opened.

Cherokee Park is in the Highlands area. Go to the corner of Eastern Parkway & Cherokee Rd. You'll see a statue of Daniel Boone. There are other entrances, but this one is the easiest to explain. It's about 2 blocks off of Bardstown Rd. The Loop is one way. Stay to the right when you enter. Keep making lefts whenever presented with a turn. You'll eventually come back around. However, it's very easy to get lost. I can't tell you how many times I've ended up in St. Matthews when simply trying to drive through the park. The Loop itself is roughly 2.5 miles.

Mentioned in this post
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Cherokee Park
Cherokee Park
275 Reviews
Louisville, KY
Highlands
Highlands
Cherokee
Cherokee
Boone
Boone
Bardstown
Bardstown
Kentucky
8. Re: Coming with two dogs to visit Louisville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 07:16