We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence KY a good choice for the Derby ?

Rochester
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Florence KY a good choice for the Derby ?

I am coming in for the derby and have let the very high hotel prices in town scare me off. Will be driving from upstate NY and coming through Cincinnati down rt. 71 into town. Tried staying in Carrolton KY with no luck so booked a nice place in Florence KY. Looks to be about 1.5 hr drive... any suggestions for something closer without breaking the bank at this late time ?.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence KY a good choice for the Derby ?

If you are just going to spend the night on your way down and on your way home that would be a good place to stay. Just hang around Louisville after the derby to soak up some of the fun and get a feel for our great city.

Mentioned in this post
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Level Contributor
396 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence KY a good choice for the Derby ?

Florence is a suburb of cincinnati and is a nice area. If you are going to be driving through this is a good choice. There really isn't much happening around Carrollton. Have you thought about Frankfort as another choice. About 45 minutes fom Louisville but a little more out of your way.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfort
Frankfort
Kentucky
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Rochester
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence KY a good choice for the Derby ?

Thanks for the response !!

Yes I did try both of those towns without much luck, I will keep my reservation in Florence and just make the drive to the derby. We have picked out a nice place to stay there and the drive does not look that bad. I am planning to try to stop after the races to eat in town before the drive back. Fourth St. looks a bit touristy for my liking so will try to find another area with more of a neighborhood feel any suggestions ?. Also a couple of derby questions. as far as parking I would rather park on a neighborhood lawn and walk to the track is it better than parking at the stadium ?. Also we are sitting in section 225 do I have to wear a suit or can something casual work dressy shorts and a nice golf shirt.

Louisville...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence KY a good choice for the Derby ?

Fourth Street is not my cup of tea either. Try the Baxter Avenue bars or NuLu (New Louisville) which is Market Street east of downtown.

All of the better restaurants will be packed and by reservation only so plan ahead.

Parking in a lawn will get you the closest but expect heavy traffic afterwards. If you have a seat anywhere, most people nearby will be dressed up. That being said, I am sure you will see many dressed down as well. Not necessary to wear a suit. Most women wear dresses but dressy shorts will work. If you are a woman, a hat is a must. Be sure you read the new security rules - they are even limiting purse sizes this year.

Mentioned in this post
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
5. Re: Florence KY a good choice for the Derby ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 07:17