We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free things to do in and around BR

Saint Francisville...
1 post
Save Topic
Free things to do in and around BR

My husband and I are new to the area and have a limited budget. Does anyone know of some fun things to do that don't cost a lot or are free to the public (other than parking it on our couch all day---boooring!)? Thanks ;-)

louisiana
Level Contributor
103 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free things to do in and around BR

Buy the newspaper on Fridays and there is the FUN section. It usually lists various activities going on around BR that are free or of little money. Wait until the fall with all the festivals!!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free things to do in and around BR

The original message is old, but I"ll try to give some advice. There isn't a lot to do in BR. It is boring if you're on a budget (don't golf, own an RV, or spend half your pay check drinking.)

Barnes & Nobles and Whole Foods seem to be the top places to hang out. The coffee at Whole Foods is cheaper than B & N.

I recommend going to the BREC dog park on Harrell's Ferry if you have a dog. Also a lot people jog at that same BREC park and practice soccer on the adjacent fields when there isn't a game. Occasionally a couple of weirdos are there so bring mace and your cell phone if you go alone. Other than that, it's one of the nicer city parks.

There's a jogging trail around a pond in the hospital complex off of O'Neal. You can't bring a dog, though.

There's also the lakes around LSU. It's very popular. Lots of joggers, etc. but people have been kidnapped and murdered around that area so be careful.

A lot of people hang out at the library, believe it or not. The branches at Jones Creek, Bluebonnet, and Greenwell Springs are the best ones. Surprisingly, they have a good selection of foreign movies on DVD.

There's this neat group of little antique and gift shops that's been built on Government Street. I'll try to find out the address and post it here later. The shops sometimes have stuff on sale (otherwise the stuff is quite expensive). But you get to see handmade purses and paintings by locals.

The first Saturday of every month has an arts and crafts market in downtown BR. It's all right. The stuff is expensive. It should be posted in the newspapers.

Our neighbors have recommended visiting the parks and trails in St. Francisville. They said that it's less of a swamp and more like a forest out there.

If you're willing to drive far out, Abita Springs and Covington have the St. Tammany Trace where you can rollerblade and bike. You can't bring a dog though.

If you're willing to brave New Orleans, I recommend going to Magazine Street for the day. There's some interesting antique stores. They have the same exact coffee shops as here, though.

If you're willing to drive even further, you could visit Avery Island, where they make Tabasco Sauce. They have a very small Japanese garden (that's seen better days) with a large antique statue of Buddha from Japan and a very big refuge for birds.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free things to do in and around BR

Just thought of something! One neat thing to do is to watch a martial arts demonstration or even take a free class or two. The nicer martial arts instructors in BR let you take a couple of free classes.

The Pennington YCMA on Old Hammond Road offers a jujitsu class. The instructor is a former Marine, and his wife also teaches. The facilty is great and looks new. I watched a class and took a free one but decided that it was not for me. However, it was a very interesting experience.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
311 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free things to do in and around BR

Live After Five downtown on Fridays in the spring and fall--free concerts. The last fall concert is this Friday (Oct. 27). There will be more in the spring, so watch for those.

As someone said, check the Fun section on Fridays for weekend events, festivals, etc. During the fall and spring there tend to be lots of free outdoor events. There will be some holiday-themed things around Christmas too. Then Mardi Gras parades.

Someone else mentioned Avery Island, which I really like. Beautiful place for a picnic and a day walking around. My huband says the Tobasco tour used to be much cooler when he was a kid. He's probably right. But the jungle gardens (as they call the many acres of land) is just lovely. You can bring a picnic and spend an afternoon walking, bird-watching, etc. It's one of my favorite day-trip places.

Tunica Hills is nice--just over the border in MS. The official name of the state park is Clark Creek Nature Preserve or something like that (you can find info online if you search for that).

You can tour the Abita brewery if you head over that way too. And the bike trails around there are very nice.

For outdoorsy stuff closer by, Bluebonnet swamp is nice and only costs a couple of dollars to get in. They have bird-watching and other special events too. Hilltop Arboretum on Highland road isn't that big, but it's pretty and a nice spot for a picnic. It's free.

If you like sports, check for LSU events. Some of the non-major sports have free tickets (we've gotten gymnastics and soccer). Women's basketball, which isn't non-major here, will have a couple of games a year where tickets are cheap and can even be found for free. Bad seats aren't all that expensive anyway, and the games are a blast.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free things to do in and around BR

Right off of Bluebonnet is the swamp and walking trail with a museum. It was nice and romantic too. The trails are long. We went in the winter so there wasn't much to see, but just spending that one on one time together was nice. If you go down Bluebonnet towards Highland there is a sign off to the right just before you get to the library.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free things to do in and around BR

You can go to the top of the State Capitol, and see far and wide. When the legislature is in session, you can watch their antics. There are a gazillion BREC parks, and soccer games going on all the time. There are lots of low cost activities, like hiking in Port Hudson north of town, going to St. Francisville where Cat Island NWR is located. The old governors Mansion is on North Blvd. The La Arts & Science Center is near the levee.

7. Re: Free things to do in and around BR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 08:22