We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying downtown?

United States
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
272 reviews
Save Topic
Staying downtown?

We are staying two nights and one day. Is it best to stay downtown or is the Courtyard nearby just fine? Is there parking downtown to visit the Capitol. What else is there to do for just one day? I read about a Nottoway Plantation Any advice?

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying downtown?

The Hilton Capitol House is a great hotel. The nice thing about being downtown is that you can walk to various places. There is also a free trolley on weekdays, so if you're here on a weekday that would be handy for visiting other downtown sites. Other things downtown include the Shaw Center, with Tsunami sushi restaurant on the roof. GREAT views, and you can go up and just enjoy the terrace (and buy a drink, or not). The LSU art museum is also in the Shaw Center.

Parking at the Captiol itself can be tough, particularly if the legislature is in session (which they are currently, through the 21st or something like that). There are parking lots and garages within a few blocks, though. Garage at the Main Street Market, at the corner of 5th and Main is probably the closest. It will cost a few dollars to park, and it's about a 3-4 block walk to the Capitol.

The LA State Museum across from the Capitol is worth seeing. It's very well-done.

Are you talking about the Courtyard off I-10 near Acadian? That's probably fine too. It's right by an Outback and there are other restaurants nearby, although you'd have to drive to most of them (BR Is not a good walking city for the most part).

If you have a day, I'd really recommend staying downtown and focusing on things there.

United States
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying downtown?

Thank you for your help. Yes, the Courtyard we were looking at is the one off of I-10 or maybe the Marriott that is also off of I-10? Which one do you recommend based on the area? We always stay in Marriotts but we need to make sure it's a safe area to be at. We will be there on a Friday night and Saturday night, so our visiting day will be Saturday. Is the parking a problem on Saturdays? We also want to visit the Nottoway Plantation so this is why we thought staying downtown or not may not be an issue since we will need to get in the car to drive there. Is there anything else that you recommend about BR for a day visit?

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying downtown?

If you would prefer a Marriott, either stay at the Courtyard at Acadian Thruway/I-10 or the larger Marriott near College Drive/Corporate Blvd. That one was formerly a Hilton Hotel so it is the larger of the two. Don't stay at the one near Siegen...too far out in my opinion.

Baton Rouge has wonderful restaurants and you would be very near lots with either Marriott you chose. By the Courtyard at Acadian Thruway near Perkins Road, you'll find, in addition to Outback, Coyotes Blues (Tex-Mex out of Lafayette, La. so it has a south Louisiana twist) across the street along with T. J. Ribs which is a great local restaurant for good ribs, etc. Around the corner on Perkins going north, you'll find Acme Oyster House (out of New Orleans)...loud, good seafood but on the expensive side and Parrain's, our favorite seafood restaurant in Baton Rouge. Down a little further, you'll find Rock'n Sake (out of New Orleans), Schlitz & Giggles (great pizza - sports restaurant), Rama (Thai food) and Diguilio's (local; great Italian). Going south on Perkins (only one block at the end of the shopping center) is Juban's, one of our best restaurants. And there are more in this area if you're interested!

Near the other Marriott, Mansur's, another one of our best restaurants is very near along with the Towne Center shopping development with Whole Foods, Carraba's, Zea's (local chain from New Orleans...very good), Bonefish Grill (which you have in Florida) to name just a few.

I would strongly suggest a visit to Nottoway, a beautiful plantation with a great tour. Near there is the Grapevine in Donaldsonville which would be great for lunch or dinner. I think this restaurant is owned by the same people who have Cafe Des Amis in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. While in Baton Rouge, you may enjoy a visit to the LSU campus along with the LSU Rural Life Museum at I-10/Essen Lane. The old State Capital downtown is a beauty and worth a stop if there is time.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, we're around. Enjoy your visit to south Louisiana!

United States
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying downtown?

We'll go with the Courtyard, easy on and off I-10. Thank you!

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying downtown?

I also love Parrain's. Really, all of the places near the Courtyard that were menioned are very good. Chelsea's is another one down Perkins near Schlitz & Giggles and Rock'n Sake. And for more upscale, Juban's is fantastic.

Parking downtown on Saturday shouldn't be a problem.

6. Re: Staying downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 06:30