We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry if same old question! Blues in BR - downtown?

Which Baton Rouge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
Sorry if same old question! Blues in BR - downtown?

We will be riding through the area on our motorcycle and have never been to BR. From the research I've done so far there is some good blues music. I can't seem to find a "downtown" area where there are hotels so we could walk to have drinks and maybe catch some music. To add to the difficulty, we will be there on Monday and Tuesday. Those are not usually the hopping nights for anything. We love a good dive bar and really love a great happy hour.

Is there enough to do in the area to keep us busy for 2 nights? Where could we stay in the downtown? area so we could go out for a ride during the day and then come back and walk to drinks/dinner. I saw in another post there are restaurants near the Marriott and that sounds appealing. I just don't want to miss out on something cool. We like all kinds of music, classic country, blues, r&b - but not so much the club scene and we can't stay up that late anyway!

Thanks so much for any and all suggestions. This really is in the planning stages for the 27th and 28th of Sept.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry if same old question! Blues in BR - downtown?

I think you would enjoy the downtown area and would suggest staying at the Hilton Capital Center. This is a lovely recently renovated hotel with a rich history and great location. We're not into the music scene but look at the Downtown Development website below. Mondays and Tuesdays look like less music offerings but lots of drink specials. We love Lucy's Retired Surfers' Bar & Restaurant and Capital City Grill as well as going up to the 6th floor of the Shaw Museum of Art (next door to Lucy's) for a drink and gorgeous view of the River.

Country Roads' website will offer some ideas for a daytime ride. I would suggest riding up to St. Francisville for the day. Eat at the Magnolia Cafe and visit some plantations. If the ferry is running, you could come back through New Roads/False River. You may also enjoy a ride through the LSU campus. Give us some of your interests and we can suggest some other daytime ideas.

www.downtownbatonrouge.org/playWeekend.asp

www.countryroadsmag.com

Louisiana
Level Contributor
274 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry if same old question! Blues in BR - downtown?

If you like the blues and dive bars, there's a place that might suit you. It's called Teddy's Juke Joint and its north of Baton Rouge, towards Zachary. Look it up on Google.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry if same old question! Blues in BR - downtown?

This is why I LOVE Tripadvisor! I cannot thank you enough for the great tips. I am so looking forward to our trip and exploring Louisiana. The advice you gave is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry if same old question! Blues in BR - downtown?

Teddy's Juke Joint is one of our favorite haunts, and we drive in from Lake Charles fairly frequently to hear/see performers there.

www.teddysjukejoint.com/fr_thejukejoint.cfm

Unfortunately, there's no music at Teddy's on Monday and Tuesday nights. I don't know if they're even open those nights. Sunday nights are usually very good. If possible, you should pay the place a visit. Whoever wrote the definition of "dive bar" must have just visited Teddy's. Teddy himself is a hoot. "Flamboyant" doesn't even begin to describe him. I mean, what can you say about a man who wears a cowboy hat with white pants and shirt and a pastel pink and green satin cape?

Baton Rouge is a college town, so most of the dive bars will be filled with college students. Somehow, I get the sense that's not your thing. One notable exception is Phil Brady's.

http://www.philbradys.org/

If you choose to stay downtown and if you enjoy wine, one place to consider is The Wine Loft. Tuesday nights are half-price bottle nights on all bottles between $40 and $140. It's not as fancy as it looks. Jeans and a collared shirt will do.

http://www.thewineloft.net/main/

Chris LeBlanc is an excellent local musician, with a great band. He does quite a few Tuesday amplified acoustic shows in the Baton Rouge area, accompanied by Pickin' Pops on the amplified mandolin (it works, believe it or not) and/or the harmonica. Here's a link to the Chris LeBanc web site.

http://www.chrisleblancband.com/shows.htm

It's too bad you can't be in Baton Rouge on Wednesday, 08/18, Henry Gray will be playing at Boudreaux and Thibodeaux's, downtown. Mr. Gray is one of the last surviving Delta Blues masters and it's a pure privilege to watch him play.

http://www.henrygray.com/

http://www.bandtlive.com/

Perhaps we can supply more definite information as we get closer to your planned visit.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorry if same old question! Blues in BR - downtown?

We love the vibe of a college town. There are is always something fun going on even Mon/Tues nights with 20 somethings around. We'll never be too old to enjoy having fun! I will definitely look at the link for the Tuesday night music. That sounds right up our alley. We'll be in Vicksburg MS on Sunday night and then going on to NO for Wed and Thurs. We'll be in Mobile AL, Memphis, Clarksdale and Little Rock prior to Vicksburg so you can see our love of the blues and all live music.

Thanks for your help. I made a reservation at the Hilton recommended and we'll go for a nice ride on Tuesday to take in as much of the area we can. Thanks again for all your tips.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorry if same old question! Blues in BR - downtown?

If you're looking for a "lodging experience" near (not in) Clarksdale, here's a place to consider.

http://tallahatchieflats.com/welcome.html

Remember, Ground Zero Blues Club has apartments for rent that are directly above the club. Their location is a two-edged sword. :-)

www.groundzerobluesclub.com/apartment.php

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorry if same old question! Blues in BR - downtown?

Thanks! I agree with the Ground Zero comment. We ate lunch there last year for our trip but it was during the week and we missed all the weekend entertainment. We're going back for a Fri/Sat this time. We have reservations at the Shack Up Inn. We stayed in a shack last time which was great but this time opted for one of the Cotton Gin rooms. The Hopson Plantation is there as well with entertainment each night. We met and enjoyed spending time with the owners. Thanks for the tip though.

8. Re: Sorry if same old question! Blues in BR - downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2011, 09:07