We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
140 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

Hi

My partner & myself are spending a week on Skye in May and as the end of our holiday coincides with bank holiday weekend we're extending the time away & taking the 9.40am Saturday morning ferry from Uig to Tarbert. We're staying overnight at Ceol Na Mara guesthouse just outside Tarbert and catching the 4pm ferry back to Uig on Sunday. I'd like some advice on a couple of things if anyone can help.

Firstly, can anyone recommend a nice but not too expensive restaurant in Tarbert or surrounding area where we can eat on Saturday night. Also we'll need to find somewhere for a decent meal on Sunday, will anywhere be open?

Secondly, we will have most of Saturday and really most of Sunday to explore and I definately want to see the Callanish Standing Stones, Luskentyre Beach, Gearannan Black House Village and St Clement's church and maybe pop into Stornoway. Will we have enough time to see all this? I would like some relaxing time too as once we get back to Uig on the Sunday evening we're heading straight back home to Staffordshire which means about a 10 hour drive approximately. Sunday is going to be a long day!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

You'll have a big problem that Lewis basically shuts on Sunday because of Sunday observance. I'd see what you can on Saturday and spend Sunday on open outdoor places such as the beaches of Harris

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
140 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

Thanks GEJP, I was concerned about Sunday observance. I think we'll take your advice & drive up to Lewis straight after leaving the ferry on Saturday and do what we can and then spend some time walking on the beaches in Harris on sunday. At least that'll mean we wont be in the car all morning on sunday, especially with having that really long drive back home.

Ok, so can anyone recommend anywhere to eat in Lewis on saturday evening and is it true it doesn't go dark until really late in May?

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

Can't recommend anything in Tarbert other than The Harris Hotel, it was OK.

I f you fancy a drive into Stornoway the Solas restaurant in the Caberfeidh is well worth a visit.

cabarfeidh-hotel.co.uk/restaurant-in-stornow…

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

It should work, but ask for an early breakfast on Sunday - you are planning to pack quite a lot in, and you need to be back at Tarbert by 3.15 pm. As GEJP says, nothing much will be open on Sunday, but you'll be OK if you shop for picnic food on Saturday, or no doubt your B&B will be able to provide a packed lunch.

Can't help with your Saturday evening meal - it's years since I had a meal at Tarbert. There isn't much choice - basically it's between the Hotel Hebrides, the Harris Hotel, or the pub over the road from the Harris Hotel. Have a look at each and see what you fancy.

'' is it true it doesn't go dark until really late in May?" Yes - depending on whether it's early or late May, it should be light until at least 10.30 pm!

Edited: 15 February 2014, 13:01
Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
140 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

Thanks for all your advice. I'm looking at places to eat in Lewis now before we go & settle in for the night at the B&B. Just had a look at the link above for the Solas Restaurant, looks fab, thanks for that. Knowing us we'll plan stuff & then end up changing our minds & winging it when we get there as usual (had some great times & found some wonderful places doing just that) but it's nice to have advice from people who know the area.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

The best place to eat in Stornoway (though it's not cheap) has to be Digby Chick. You'll probably need to book for a Saturday night.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

£10 for a starter and £20 for a main ? In Stornoway ?

"not cheap" is putting it mildly DH.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

There is an Indian restaurant in Stornaway that is not bad and is open on Sunday (Balti House). I found that travel times tend to be longer than you plan on Lewis. Running down from Stornaway to Harris takes more time than you think. I would cut back a bit on what you think you will visit. I would not miss the standing stones and you can see them on a Sunday. I found a visit to the Butt of Lewis beautiful. It is an amazing island and I hope the weather will be good for you.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 20:32
Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

It takes no more than 1 hour and that's being conservative ?

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
140 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brief visit to Harris/Lewis

We'll have plenty of time for travelling round as we're not able to check in to the guest house until 5pm on the saturday evening and we have to leave by 10 am on the sunday. Ferry times are limited at the weekend so we'll have a fair bit of time to kill. I've looked at digby chicks and it does look a little pricey. Has anyone been to the Borve Country House hotel?

Reply to: Brief visit to Harris/Lewis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lewis and Harris