We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with family trip in March in NOLA/Houma area?

Which Houma hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Help with family trip in March in NOLA/Houma area?

It feels shallow to be asking about a family vacation when people are trying to rebuild their lives, but my cousin is getting married!! Maybe the hurricanes made he and his girlfriend appreciate their lives together. Needless to say, we would like to put some tourism money into the area and come down with our 5 & 9 year old kids for the wedding and our spring break!

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good family place anywhere around Houma? That is where my cousin lives and we aren't sure yet if the wedding will be there or in NOLA. We are not really city people, and probably wouldn't want to stay in NOLA (at least not all week). We are looking for someplace to relax, that has a pool, is maybe near the coast, and might have a few kid related activities.

Any help is appreciated, we know next to nothing about the area!!

Thanks!

Sue

Houma, LA
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with family trip in March in NOLA/Houma area?

Sue, I just saw your message and don't really have time to respond as I need to get back to work, however...

Check out this link for some infor

http://www.houmatours.com/

I live in Houma and will respond more fully as soon as I can.

Teri

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with family trip in March in NOLA/Houma area?

Teri,

Thank you so much for your reply. Whenever you have a chance to respond in more detail is fine, we have some time!

I didn't have time to check out the website in great detail but I did check out a little of Grand Isle. Do you know anything about that area? It's right on the Gulf, but i didn't notice anywhere to stay that has a pool.

Thanks again for your help. I look forward to hearing all your info.

Sue

lockport, la
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with family trip in March in NOLA/Houma area?

Grande Isle Is A great place, tho i would not suggest staying there. i dont believe there are many great places to stay. i believe you are better off in houma. tho houma is kind of city type, there are many things to do there. Grande isle is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from houma.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with family trip in March in NOLA/Houma area?

Grand isle is a small fishing village, and with the frequency of hurricanes, I don't know of any pools on the island. There are no chain hotels, and if you are not thereto fish, there's really not much to do or see. With the Klondyke road to Larose(Hwy 24), it's probably about 1.5 hrs from Houma.

Houma
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with family trip in March in NOLA/Houma area?

Dear Sue,

There are many activities for families here in Houma. You could try a swamp tour, maybe with Mr. "Black" Guidry. You can check out his website, www.cajunman.com. There is also the Jolly Inn. It is a restaurant/dance hall. If you want to experience the cajun culture it's the whole package in one place. They have a live cajun band on Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons, good cajun food, and cajun dancing. If you inquire, the locals will likely give you some impromptu dance lessons. They encourage the kids to try out the washboards and triangles to play along with the music. Great atmosphere and all ages welcomed.

As for Grand Isle, there are some cabins for rent there, probably best to try yellow pages to get some information. I'm not sure if any of these place have pools. The kids will probably enjoy the sand and surf.

Easter falls in March this year so you will find lots of good restaurants serving seafood as Lent season will be in full swing. Too bad you will miss Mardi Gras, we have a great lineup of parades here and it's more family-oriented than New Orleans.

Well I hope I helped in some small way, feel free to contact me at ragincajunlady59@yahoo.com. Hope to see y'all in March!!!

Donna

La
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with family trip in March in NOLA/Houma area?

Sue has already come, look at the dates of her post.

7. Re: Help with family trip in March in NOLA/Houma area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Houma
Recent Conversations