We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick and easy Lafayette daytrips

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Quick and easy Lafayette daytrips

Check out Lake Martin- A nice spot for a picnic and some nature (gator) watching - free. Avery Island, is very nice. The Tabasco tour is free, I think it's a few bucks at the toll booth just to get onto the island. Also another fabulous spot for a picnic are the Jungle Gardens located on the island. Besides Vermilionville, there is Acadian Village, which is similar. On the basin, near Henderson and Breaux Bridge, you will find some swamp tours. Past Lafayette, on the basin bridge, there is a really nice tourist information center where you can pick up a ton of brochures on swamp tours. A good place to eat is Landry's, right off the interstate. Starting 1/29, the University Art Museum will have an exhibit entitled River of Gold, Precolumbian Treasures from Sitio Conte that looks like it will be very interesting. There are a few plantations in the area - Cretien Point in Sunset, as well as Shadows on the Teche in New Iberia. Also in New Iberia is the Konriko Rice Store and Mill. If you want to drive a little ways, I think that the "Mr. Charlie" - International Petroleum Museum in Morgan City is really interesting. It's a cleaned-up version of an oil rig that you can tour. The Lafayette Museum and Planetarium has been running an exhibit featuring the Marquis de La Fayette that is nice. On Saturdays, Cafe des Amis has a Zydeco Breakfast that my friend says is really wonderful. They have a website, you can check it out before you head out there. They are located in Breaux Bridge. St. Martinville has Lake Fausse Point State Park for hiking and boating/canoing, as well as the Evangeline Oak and plenty of old historic buildings.

Vermilionville
Historic Walking Areas
Cathedral of St John the Evangelist
Cemeteries, Sacred & Religious Sites
Acadian Village
Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas
Napa, California
Level Contributor
221 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick and easy Lafayette daytrips

Also, head north to Ville Platte and visit Chicot lake State Park. They have numberous long hiking trail and primitive campsites, as well as an Arboretum. They rent canoes and cottages, as does Fausse Point SP, mentioned above.

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick and easy Lafayette daytrips

Might I just add something: for anyone who does not have a whole lot time, I always recommend going to Cypress Lake on UL's cmapus. In fact, I suggest getting a po-boy from Old Tyme Grocers, and making a picnic of it. Cypress Lake is a great example of a swamp eco system, and you don't even have to leave town to see it....and it's free. Just my 2 cents.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick and easy Lafayette daytrips

Do any of you have an opinion on the choice between Lake Martin vs. a trip out into the Basin itself? They both sound nice. We will be staying at Maison des Amis next month and Lake Martin was recommended by the owner over the basin tours.

Also, on a Wednesday night, are we more likely to encounter a good dance scene at Cafe des Amis, or is Randol's a better bet? Thanks.

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick and easy Lafayette daytrips

Believe it or not, I've never done a basin tour, so I can't speak for it or against it. However, I have heard that there is one particular person that does some awesome tours on Lake Martin. I enjoy going out to Lake Martin for the day, but I've never done the actual Lake tour.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick and easy Lafayette daytrips

Hey, thanks, don't worry - I've been in NOLA x 25 years and still never have been to Brennan's. Didn't get to Antoine's until 2 years ago (it wasn't worth the wait, BTW). And there are tons of people here who've never been to JazzFest - and have no desire to go.

The two lake tours I've had recommended are done by guys named Leblanc and Ganucheau; Mr. G has gotten more recs than Mr L.

In the Basin, Coerte Voorhies' "the Atchafalaya Experience" gets good reviews; he and his wife also run a B&B in Lafayette called Bois des Chênes. The lake is fairly small and seems to have a high concentration of birds and you are almost guaranteed to see a gator. The Basin tours cover a larger area. Whichever area we don't get to this time, I'll hit on a return trip with my daughter.

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
130 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick and easy Lafayette daytrips

Like Ginger, I have never been on a 'tour' of the swamp, but have been there numerous times for fishing/skiing trips. It is quite a wonderful place to experience.

On the other hand, I have been on a tour of Lake Martin (many years ago, thru Pack & Paddle), and really enjoyed that as well.

In summary, while I think Lake Martin is very nice, if I had to choose one over the other, I would choose the swamp tour......I just think it is more unique and has more to offer. Sorry, but I do not have any recommendations with the tour guides you mentioned, or any others for that matter.

BTW, I lived in NOLA (in the Marigny triangle) for about 7-8 years.......moved back to LFT in '01.

7. Re: Quick and easy Lafayette daytrips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 12:20
Get answers to your questions about Lafayette