We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with itinerary - please

Which Lafayette hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
help with itinerary - please

My husband and I are planning to visit East Texas and Louisiana this summer. Our visit will include New Orleans, but we are eager to experience the cajun culture and opportunities west of the city.

I was considering staying in LaFayette for two - three days to make this a base for exploring the area.

Questions: Is this a good idea? Adequate time?

We would like to tour gardens, perhaps a swamp tour and the Acadian attactions.

We are Canadian and have been to a number of Acadian sites here in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I am very interested in this aspect of culture.

Any recommendations would be most welcome.

Yes, I know it will be hot and steamy.

Thanks so very much.

Houma, Louisiana
Destination Expert
for Houma
Level Contributor
631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with itinerary - please

make sure you try out the boudin. The boudin in scott, la, at the best stop is the best. To get there, take I-10 west from lafayette, then take the scott exit. take a right, then keep driving until you see a convenience store on your left hand side that is entitled "the best stop" Great boudin, and other spiced meals. warning: it may be a tad bit spicy.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with itinerary - please

If at all possible, you should schedule your time in and around Lafayette on a weekend. Both Eunice and St. Martinville have major Acadian cultural attractions.

www.acadianmemorial.org/english/memorial.html

nps.gov/jela/prairie-acadian-cultural-center…

http://www.eunice-la.com/interest.html

Other attractions in and around Eunice are:

The Liberty Theater

http://www.eunice-la.com/libertyschedule.html

The Saturday morning jam session at Savoy Music Center

http://www.savoymusiccenter.com/

Saturday mornings at Fred's Lounge in Mamou

http://www.lsue.edu/acadgate/mamou.htm

Here's a TripAdvisor post where I suggest some swamp tours in the Lafayette area.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k280699…

Breaux Bridge also has a Saturday morning music session, although Zydeco music isn't the same as Cajun French.

http://www.cafedesamis.com/

My suggetion for a complete day would be either or both Fred's Lounge or/and Savoy Music Center on Saturday morning, the Jean Lafitte Cultural Center on Saturday afternoon, and the Liberty Theater on Saturday evening. Of course, you'll need to fit a couple of meals in there somehwwere. :-)

Just south of Lafayette is Avery Island, operated by the McIlhenny family, which is the home of Tabasco pepper sauce and which also features jungle gardens and a large aviary.

tabasco.com/tabasco_history/…targ

Finally, if you're in that area for more than a day, you should pay a visit to Abbeville. It's a charming small town with a lovely park, an historical Catholic Church and some VERY good Cajun restaurants.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbeville,_Louisiana

What about accommodations? Are you seeking recommendations?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with itinerary - please

AAhhhhh....I hate spelling errors!!! Please excuse my failure to use my spell checker on my previous post.

Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with itinerary - please

Thank you so much for all of the info -- I don't think a Saturday will fit into our plans, however.

Avery Island was on the 'the list' as would be some of the Acadian Cultural attactions -- are these worth seeing?

Yes, we would be looking for accommodation recommendations as well -- not big into B & B's unless they offer lots of space and privacy.

Is LaFayette a good spot to make a base or should we consider staying elsewhere?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with itinerary - please

Lafayette is an excellent spot to make your base. It is the center of cajun country and most of the small towns people mention are 35 minutes or so away. For example, Avery Island and the Tabasco factory are a great visit and less than a 25 minute drive from Lafayette. Baton Rouge is a 45 minute drive. New Iberia is 20 minutes away. Opelousas is 35 minutes away. You could also easily take a swamp tour in the Atachafalya (sp?) River Basin which is really cool. That would be a 30 minute drive. Breaux Bridge is a 20 minute drive. Lafayette has two "cajun villages" that can be interesting. Vermillionville and Acadian Village. And... I hate to contradict another advisor but the best Boudin is at Billeaud's Meat and Grocery in Broussard. Which is a "suburb" of Lafayette. Yum Yum.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with itinerary - please

LOL...I had to chuckle at the comment from jettsmommy about boudin. If you get 50 people together and give each a sample of boudin and cracklins, you'll probably get 100 different opinions as to the best of each.

That having been said, my opinion is that the Best Stop is overrated and is living on its reputation. I pass the Scott/Cankton exit frequently, but I don't even stop there for cracklins any more. When I eat crackins, I want to taste pork. If I want to taste only Tony's (or whatever brand) Seasoning, I'll just eat it out of the can.

If you're passing through (or by) Broussard, Bileaud's is definitely worth a stop.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: help with itinerary - please

Gundi,

For your garden tours, I would recommend the Jungle Gardens directly in back of the Tabassco Sauce Factory, stop by the little gift shop and pick a map. It is a "drive thru" garden with many areas to park and view gorgeous landscapes. There is also a bird sanctuary at the rear of the Jungle Gardens, that has thousands of white egrets bird....Beautiful.

Also in that area is Rip Van Winkle Gardens & Plantation.. Truely a stunning place to visit. This place captures the "essence" of what the good life was on a Plantation. The grounds are beautiful and you will see peacocks roaming freely around the grounds.

http://www.ripvanwinklegardens.com/

8. Re: help with itinerary - please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 05:18