We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
717 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

Trying to find a no-flights-required break for March break, so wondering if Maine might have something for us. The kids love good kid-friendly museums and science centres, and would be happy with a few nights in a hotel with a great pool. Any such thing as an indoor water park, or at least a bit more than a slide in the pool?? Anything?

I found something about dogsledding (outdoorsy I know, but doesn't require a lot of skill I hope!), but couldn't actually track down any info for March. (Maybe the snow is undependable by then?)

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

Noelx4 -- Much as I hate to admit it, I really can't think of any Maine resorts or hotels that offer an indoor water park like the one you're looking for....

If an indoor water park is essential, and you're willing to add an hour or so to your driving time, you might check out North Conway, NH... I know for sure that the Hampton Inn and Suites, and think that maybe the Red Jacket Inn, offer a sizeable indoor water park. In downtown North Conway, near the north end of the business district, you'll find the Mt Washington Observatory's "Weather Discovery Museum" -- a fantastic place for kids (of all ages). Last I knew, Hamm Arena in Conway offered indoor ice skating with rental skates available.

Suspect both those properties are also popular with the ski crowd, so wouldn't wait to check for availability.

Would truly prefer to refer you to somewhere here in Maine...but we tend more toward outdoor winter activities.....

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
717 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

Thank you MOTG. You've pegged it pretty well--we stayed at the Red Jacket in North Conway in August. The kids loved it. That's a bit more elaborate than we need, but there's not much else to take us back to North Conway. We did like the feel of Bangor last time we were through, but maybe this isn't the trip to return.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,852 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

Bangor's a great city -- I grew up in one of it's bedroom communities -- but I can't think of a property in Bangor or Brewer that offers the kind of pool facility your original question described..... Sorry.... But I'd definitely recommend it for a repeat visit some other time.

Van Buren, Maine
Level Contributor
26 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

I definitely haven't heard of any indoor water parks in Maine.

March is a horrible time for Maine if you're not a winter sports fan; I don't know if you are familiar with Funtown Splashtown USA (Saco, ME) - an outdoor water park but is beautiful in the summer; I believe it opens in June and is great for kids. If you ever plan another summer trip in the Maine area, this would be a great spot!

Brandon

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
717 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

Thanks Brandon, I will keep that in mind. It's likely we would have another chance for a road trip. :-) We have decided to drive to Quebec instead for March, something we haven't done and should. (Though no water parks!).

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

The Bangor area is home to a great kids museum (Maine Discovery Museum) right downtown. There's also a relatively new place called The Maine Jump, on Hogan Road in Bangor. It's an indoor playground with inflated bouncey stuff and plenty of place to run. Great food, too. I didn't see how old your kids are but The Maine Jump is for younger kids with lots of energy. The pool at nearby University of Maine is fabulous. It is housed in the Campus Recreation center and has multi levels - a vortex pool (giant whirlpool) a couple of lap lanes, a 25 person hot tub, and a play area for the little ones with fountains. There's also a sauna and a good locker room. In Hampden there's the Lura Holt pool with a zero entry zone, more lap lane, slides (big and small) and lots of room for kids. If you're coming at the end of March, you should know that the last sunday is Maine Maple Sunday and many maple farms open the doors to their sugar houses and show you what it's like. I took my daughter last year and she loved seeing how the sap runs out of the trees and bubbles in the sugar house and thickens into syrup that the owners poured onto clean snow to make maple taffy. Bangor could make for a nice base location to explore the region. Hope you have a fun time. Visit the website www.visitbangormaine.com for more info!

www.celestecota.blogspot.com

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
717 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

Wow, Celeste07, thanks so much! We have now made plans to go to Quebec this March, but that's some great info. We are bound to be in Me at some point in the not too distant future, so I will take note of all these great ideas, and use them then. Thanks again!

Houlton, Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

We go to Bangor with the kids allllll the time. There isn't any hotel pool like you mentioned, but a great hotel to stay at there is the Courtyard Marriott. The hotel staff there is awesome!! So nice and ready to help with anything you need. Their pool is quieter than others in the area. We have kids ages 3 and 5 so we like kids, just don't like the more rowdy ones that like to jump and splash a lot like at Fairfield Inn.

When we go there things we like to do is Playland Adventure in Brewer...bounce houses and arcade, The Sports Arena....bowling and arcade (they have a great deal where for $29 you get a lg pizza, bread sticks, chips, soda and a $20 card for either bowling or the arcades. Maine Discovery Museum is also something fun in downtown to do. And there is a movie theater on Odlin Road that is really cheap too. They show movies that have been out for a bit (still new) for only $3 a person and their concessions are reasonable too. You could take a little day trip to Bar Harbor....cold but still pretty.

In the summer there is Treworgy Farms in Levant, ME too....petting zoo, tractor rides, apple orchard, etc. Lots of fun...we went there this past fall and picked out pumpkins.

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

I realize its past March break but in case someone checks back here .... the Ramadan Inn on Odlin Rd has a nice indoor pool. Even if you stay somewhere else you can go use the pool at the Ramada for about $5 each.

If you are in the area in the summer you can go to the Beth Pancoe pool on 13th St in Bangor. Last time I was there any non resident could go for $4 adults & $2 for kids. There you have the waterslides and zero entry pool for the little ones. The Brewer pool is open to non residents too.

Just thought I'd toss that in.

10. Re: March break with kids, not outdoorsy? Anywhere in Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Bangor