We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving 95 south from Bangor local help needed

Driving 95 south from Bangor local help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2013, 15:02
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,888 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving 95 south from Bangor local help needed

We always go straight on, using 295. Our destination is usually Portland and there is no reason to detour over to the Lewiston/Auburn area. Both roads are well-maintained. There is slightly less traffic on 95. 295 will take you right into Portland instead of detouring to the west of the city. But there is a cut-over at Falmouth from 95 to 295 which will also bypass Portland.

Possibly the very best reason to stay with 295 is that you can stop in Freeport and shop until you drop at LLBean !

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving 95 south from Bangor local help needed

I take 295 because I refuse to give the Maine Turnpike Authority any more of my money than necessary and because, as bonniemaev noted, swinging through Lewiston/Auburn feels out of the way.

The only caveat would be weather. The turnpike is usually in better condition in snow, and if there's ice, the section of 295 through Freeport and Falmouth has sections that invite drivers to slide off the road or into each other.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,926 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving 95 south from Bangor local help needed

CB's caution about weather conditions is absolutely spot-on. Because it is a privately operated entity using toll money to fund snow-and-ice control activities, the Turnpike uses more trucks, more crews and spends more money-per-mile on plowing, salting, etc than the State uses in snow-and-ice control on I-295. Anytime there's any question of snow, ice, or heaven forbid, freezing rain, we always use I-95..... vEven some of the Maine DOT emplloyees I know admit that the Turnpike does a better job -- especially during and immediately after winter storms.

I-295 is a bit shorter mileage-wise, but I-95 doesn't have the congestion that I-295 often has around Freeport and through Yarmouth, downtown Portland and South Portland. Depending on our mood, we sometimes take I-95 (despite the tolls and slightly longer distance) just because we find it more relaxing.

One other note, that matters to some folks and not to others.... If you stay on I-95, you have immediate access to food-and-fuel at rest stops around Gray and Cumberland (Mile 58 or 59 if memory serves) -- offering gas, food, restrooms 24-7. On 295, there are no roadside food or fuel services without getting off the Interstate onto local roads. There is an off-highway rest area in Gardiner, where the two routes split, that serves both I-95 and I-295 traffic. If food, fuel or a late-night coffee are concerns, I-95 will be more convenient.

Unless it's storming, there is little difference except for the (sometimes) minor issues noted above.... We sometimes make the dermination based on which route has construction activity, but that shouldn't really be a concern in late December,

Edited: 08 December 2012, 03:56
Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Yarmouth
Yarmouth
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
4. Re: Driving 95 south from Bangor local help needed

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2013, 15:02
5. Re: Driving 95 south from Bangor local help needed

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 02:16