We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice on very nice resorts near hiking in Maine?

Virginia
Level Contributor
120 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking advice on very nice resorts near hiking in Maine?

having already done a vacation on the coast last summer, my hubby and i want to do an lake or mtn week long trip not on the coast this Sept. ideally want to find a 3 start or 4 star resort with nice amenities (pool, restaurant, etc). Friends advise Sunday River resort, Sebago Lake as areas. but also need advise on top hotels, resorts or lodges. Ideas?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking advice on very nice resorts near hiking in Maine?

You can find Bethel-area hotels and resorts by clicking on the "Bethel Hotels" tab on the upper-left hand corner of this page. It will give you info on what's available in the area.....but be sure to scroll down, because some of the resorts seem to be listed near the end.

Usually I would have suggested you check out either the Grand Summit Hotel at Sunday River (but listed under the Bethel listings) or the Bethel Inn Resort.....but I notice that both of them have recent reviews indicating that they may be slipping just a bit.... Unfortunately, there are'nt many other 3-4 star accommodations in that part of Maine (or at least none that I'm aware of).....

But depending on how late in the month you're coming up, you may find your choices limited by what's still available.....the later into the month you get, the closer you are to the height of the Fall Foliage season in that area and not all of the resorts/hotels/inns will still have openings during that time.... I'd check out the listings above, pick one or two that look good, call them to check availability, and ask about anything you've seen in the reviews that causes you concern.

That said, there is some absolutely great hiking in that part of the state.... Evans Notch State Park, Grafton Notch State Park, and others.

Sorry I can't help with the Sebago Lake 3-4 star listings -- just don't know that area that well....

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking advice on very nice resorts near hiking in Maine?

I would also suggest looking in the Rangeley Lakes area. If you check the links on this site, you will see an array of hiking trails, including portions of the Appalachian Trail:

http://www.rangeleymaine.com/

There are many lodging options listed, although I'd be hard-pressed to put any in the 4 star category. Nearby is Saddleback Mountain and Sugarloaf - both skiing resorts with nice accommodations.

chicopee ma
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking advice on very nice resorts near hiking in Maine?

A bit west of Bethel in New Hampshire is LakeUmbagog.There. you will find Paradise Point camps.Great hiking,plenty of moose watching and terrific fishing.The camps sit right onj the shoreline and are EXCEPTIONAL.They have a website,the hosts rick&linda are the real deal,no pool or hot tub but you won't miss them Mike

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking advice on very nice resorts near hiking in Maine?

Moosehead Lake has some nice hiking and the Blair Hill Inn, which is definitely nice accommodations and dining. http://www.blairhill.com/

5. Re: Seeking advice on very nice resorts near hiking in Maine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bethel