We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster in mid-October?

New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Lobster in mid-October?

My husband and I are heading to Boothbay and surrounding area for a much needed getaway. Unfortunately, it appears we couldn't get away sooner before most of the seasonal restaurants closed. I'm wondering now if I'm going to be able to find lobster anywhere - otherwise, I'm going to be a bit disappointed. Can anyone provide suggestions as the restaurants I've contacted have already confirmed that they closed on Columbus Day.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobster in mid-October?

I can't speak for Boothbay Harbor itself, but up here in Bar Harbor, it's only the rustic lobster pounds that close on Columbus Day because it's so chilly in the evenings that people no longer want to sit outside and it's hard to heat the inside dining rooms. But all the other restaurants up here stay open until November 1st. And most of them serve whole lobster.

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobster in mid-October?

You'll definitely be able to find lobster. I'm not a Boothbay expert, but I imagine somebody will chime in to let you know about places in town. On your way, the Taste of Maine on Route 1 just past Bath is still open and offers the traditional whole lobster meals, along with the usual seafood.

The Sea Basket on Route 1 in Wiscasset is open until the beginning of December. I don't think they have whole lobsters, but they have lobster stew, fried seafood and lobster roll.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Wiscasset
Wiscasset
Mid Coast Maine, ME
New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobster in mid-October?

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to see that lobster will still be available - I'll definitely check out Bath for the restaurants you mentioned since we'll be in Bath area checking out the sights there. Bath was recommended as a place to check out by the family we are renting a house from for our stay. Glad to hear that I'll definitely be able to find lobster still as I was getting worried. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobster in mid-October?

Lobster Dock just closed on Sunday. Lobsterman's Wharf is closed for dining, but you can still pick up lobsters-to-go, including, I think, cooked lobsters.

Kalers.com is your best bet..........still open!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lobster in mid-October?

And if you go to Kalers, try the crab dip! It's a favorite of ours. Try to hit the bar at happy hour - great drink prices and a great bartender.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,899 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lobster in mid-October?

Not sure when you're arriving -- or how long you're staying.... but my understanding from a friend who lives in Boothbay is that Kaler's will be closing for the season after this coming weekend - Oct 16-17. Might be worth a phone call to get the "official" word on which day will be their last.

Not one of my favorite places (just don't care for the setting for some reason, but food has always been okay when we have gone...), but I also understand that McSeagull's in downtown Boothbay Harbor is staying open year-round this year....

And The Tugboat Inn's Restaurant in Boothbay Harbor is usually open into November -- have always been able to find lobster there.

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lobster in mid-October?

The Thistle Inn is another good bet. The dining room is now closed on Sundays and Mondays but the Pub and Happy Hour are open daily.

http://www.thethistleinn.com/dining.html

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lobster in mid-October?

A friend was at McSeagull's in Boothbay Harbor last night and said the lobster was great! So...looks like you're in luck.

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lobster in mid-October?

If you are going to be near Harpswell Cooks is open year round.

10. Re: Lobster in mid-October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2011, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay