We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BBH this weekend...what's open, etc.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
168 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
BBH this weekend...what's open, etc.

Hi:

We have visited BBH several times, but never in the winter. Could you please let me know what is open and going on up there now? We are considering coming this weekend (March 2). I'm not too concerned about shopping, but mostly with restaurants, cafes, bars, etc. Also, how is the weather supposed to be?

Thanks very much.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BBH this weekend...what's open, etc.

Hi t73a,

I've heard mixed reviews about the weather. There's a possibility of a snowstorm Friday, but they've been forecasted before and absolutely nothing happens! In fact I have to drive out of town up to the Bangor area and plan on ignoring the forecast unless I wake up and there's a major snow event happening, lol.

Re: restaurants, bars, etc.

My favorite restaurants open this time of year are McSeaguls and the Thistle Inn. Others open are 93 Townsend and The Russell House. These are the nicest and most upscale.

The Ebb Tide is excellent for breakfast, chowder, burgers, that sort of thing. And the Townsend Wine and Coffee Bar is a fun place for lunch or for after dinner drinks or coffee. They offer a nice cheese and cracker and fruit plate, sandwiches, desserts, etc all in a casual setting with sofa's, chairs, and nice music and a revolving art exhibit. There's also wireless access if you have a laptop and want to go online.

More about McSeagulls and the Thistle. McSeagulls is right on the water and acquired a new chef last summer, so the food has improved. It's not super gourmet or anything but is good, decent food. What's almost more important is the fun atmosphere. There's usually a group at the bar, live music in the evenings, and it just has a nice atmosphere.

The Thistle is my all time favorite and my first choice for dining out winter or summer. They've also acquired new owners and a new chef and the food is excellent for the most part. I've never had a bad meal there. It has two different sides for dining.

One side, the Pub, is more casual, has a very small bar (seats about 8 to 10), about 5 tables, and offers live music on the weekends.

The other side is a bit more formal but not much more. The pub offers it's own menu plus the more formal one.

Either side is delightful, has a real British type pub feel, and the people who run it are really nice, especially Jeff the bartender :).

93 Townsend is not bad. But quality of food is inconsisent. I've had excellent meals there and I've had so-so meals. One reliable entre that has always been great is their Caesar Salad. They make wonderful corn bread croutons and offer eithier chicken, salmon, or lobster to go with it. The salmon was the best! This might be a good place for lunch.

I've yet to try the Russell House as it just opened for business a month or so ago. I've heard mixed reviews from friends about it however. Some say it's really good, others say it's mediocre. I've been inside and the atmosphere is lovely with a fireplace, and very nice ambience. I'm hoping to check it out one these days. But I keep going to McSeagulls and the Thistle instead, lol.

If you want to go out of BBH there's a couple of other good restaurants in Damarascotta. They are the Damarscotta River Grill on Main St. and King Eider's Pub also just off Main.

The Damarascotta River Grill has a nice menu and great atmosphere. King Eiders Pub does too. While there, especially if you go for lunch or in the late afternoon, you can shop at Reny's Underground which is always fun. Plus there's other neat stores that are open this time of year and a very nice bookstore/cafe too.

As far as anything happening in BBH this weekend. You might want to check the Boothbay Harbor Opera House website to see what they've got going on. Last weekend Gaelic Storm played (they provided some of the music for the movie Titanic) and the weekend before was BBH's version of the Grand Ole Opry which sold out and was a hoot!

There's also the Land Trust trails as well as the Botanical Gardens to tour or meander about.

And don't forget about our little movie theatre in the Meadows Mall that runs first rate movies.

In town a few shops are open but not a whole lot. You'll have more to choose from in Damarascotta.

That's about it for BBH this time of year. Once April hits things slowly start coming to life, more and more shops and restaurants open, seasonal residents move back into their cottages, and some the tour/mail boats begin running.

But this time of year can be fun for a short weekend. It'll be quiet, the scenery as beautiful as ever, and you'll have no problem getting a good table any of the restaurants. Enjoy!

Melanie

2. Re: BBH this weekend...what's open, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 19:19